Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » When does ovulation occur?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: When does ovulation occur?
gogo2439
Neophyte
Member # 109401

Icon 5 posted      Profile for gogo2439     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just had my first pregnancy scare and i'm still recovering, but i'm pretty confident I don't have anything to worry about. anyway...

my question is, when does ovulation occur in women? I've read that it's typically 14-16 days prior to your expected period date, which is why the 2 weeks after ovulation are considered to be "safer" days for sex.

Except I was searching for information and stumbled on a netdoctor type thing that said that it is not uncommon for women to ovulate two days prior to their period. Specifically:

"Say your wife has a 28-day cycle counting from the first day of her period.
She could have ovulated on day-24 – not that unusual – and the egg could have been still capable of fertilisation and implantation by day-26 – two days before her next period was due to start."

but that doesn't make sense in my opinion because that would mean the progesterone and the uterine lining would have to develop very rapidly between those two days. is my judgement right? Or do some women actually ovulate two days prior to their period? and if so, how common is that in women?

I doubt i'm one of them because i have heavy and longer periods and cycles, but i'm just curious.
thanks!

Posts: 25 | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only way to know when you're ovulation is through several months of observation of your cervical mucus and basal temperature. There are averages of when ovulation happens, but for individuals the timing can vary.

If you'd like to start figuring this out for yourself, this article is a good place to start, and the links in it will send you to sources with more info: Get With the Flow: All About FAM

Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gogo2439
Neophyte
Member # 109401

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gogo2439     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But would it be possible to ovulate two days before starting ones period?
Posts: 25 | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would be possible, yes. Again, there are average times when most people will ovulate, but some folks can ovulate much earlier or later in their cycle on occasion.
Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gogo2439
Neophyte
Member # 109401

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gogo2439     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that when people ovulate earlier/later in their cycle their overall cycle length is lengthened or shortened. I guess my question is, is it possible to have a luteal phase of 2 days? Or even 0 days? And how common is it to ovulate so soon to your period?
gogo2439
Neophyte
Member # 109401

What I mean is, although people ovulate at different times in the cycle, its usually because the follicular phase takes a different amount of time, not the luteal phase. So sorry to spam, I just wanted to clarify what Im asking. Is it possible to have a luteal phase/time frame after your period when progesterone and the lining builds up, take only 2 days
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I can see the source of the confusion here.

It is indeed not uncommon for someone to ovulate two days before their period is due: in that case, it would be expected that the period would happen considerably later than it was expected, as you're right, the luteal phase remains roughly the same for each person. Someone's luteal phase is usually between 12 and 16 days, but can be as little as 9 or 10 days.

It would be very uncommon for someone to ovulate and then actually have their period two days later, because as you say, that's just not how the cycle of hormones and physical changes works.

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gogo2439
Neophyte
Member # 109401

So in light of this knowledge, even if one had unprotected sex a day or 2 before their period [it actually comes, not "expected period"] (or even anytime after they have ovulated), it should not be possible to become pregnant.
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's correct. But unless someone knows (from charting over a period of several months) when they have ovulated, there isn't enough information to accurately assess the chance of pregnancy. (It's not common, but it does happen sometimes that ovulation occurs twice in one cycle.)

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.