Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » missed/late period and bronchitis, antibiotics

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: missed/late period and bronchitis, antibiotics
she_who_questions
Activist
Member # 39778

Icon 1 posted      Profile for she_who_questions     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm writing because I have a concern about a very late (possibly missed altogether) period. Normally my menstrual cycle is regular--about every 30 days. This month, however, no dice. While I haven't been keeping track exactly, I believe my last period started around January 11th. I've been stressed and/or sick a lot lately so I realize that could be a contributing factor.
More specifically, I became stressed and excited about a new relationship. That led to an irregular sleep and eating schedule, which led to a chest cold, which eventually led to bronchitis. I also developed pink eye at the same time. (I work at a preschool, so little kid germs may have played a role too).

On February 13th, I was put on Zithromax (azithromycin) and Moxeza eye drops. Both are antibiotics. The Zithromax was a 5-day course of treatment and the Moxeza was 7 days. I was also given an inhaler to help open up my breathing.

When it started to seem like my period hadn't visited in a while, I was initially concerned about pregnancy as I'd been involved with a guy. We never had intercourse but definitely got really close--I always had my underwear on though so it didn't seem like much of a risk. I've taken 3 pregnancy tests over the last few days and all were negative.

When one misses a period in a situation like this, should they go to the doctor? Is there a period of time that is appropriate to wait before doing so? Should I get a blood pregnancy test? Not sure how to proceed.

Posts: 120 | From: Florida | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As long as you followed the instructions on the home pregnancy tests, there's really no reason to get a blood test done as the home tests are very accurate.

This article on late/missing periods may help: M.I.A or, Dude, Where's My Period?

Certainly, health changes can impact when periods come, and sometimes it's possible to just skip one for no apparent reason. So for now, I'd just sit tight and wait for it, and check in with a doctor if you go another month or two without one.

Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.