Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Barrier Promotion in school-help?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Barrier Promotion in school-help?
E_Marie
Neophyte
Member # 99360

Icon 1 posted      Profile for E_Marie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi guys!
I'm looking to campaign for sexual health at my school this Feburary (valnetines day.. wink wink) but I'm not really sure where to start. I'm in a new school this year and it's very different from my old one. At my old one we had a health center in the school and condoms available in the bathrooms. Here we don't have anything at all, and my counsellors told me we're not allowed to even have condoms available. (they keep some hidden in their offices, but almost no one knows about it) and everyone in leadership recoiled at the idea, so I'm on my own.
I'm looking for help tracking down some resources to help promote safety, maybe brochures I can print out or an organization I can contact (Have a heart might come down and help) or ideas for campaigns and posters and such.
Thanks!

Posts: 30 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you checked out Heads and Hands for this, who are based in Montreal and one of the longest running-sex ed org (maybe the longest, actually) in Canada?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68237 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
E_Marie
Neophyte
Member # 99360

Icon 1 posted      Profile for E_Marie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope, haven't heard of them, but I will! [Smile] Thanks!
Posts: 30 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
E_Marie
Neophyte
Member # 99360

So I have to put that stuff on hold. After talking to some of the local nurses at the local health clinic, I have to step back and address some bigger issues.
The main one being that the problems aren't just at my school, it's the whole district. The parents just will not allow any sort of.. well anything regarding sex education in the schools. We have lots of brochures on what to do when you're pregnant but nothing about how to prevent that pregnancy, let alone barriers or STI prevention.
I talked to my leadership class and the kids agree. I asked a few simple questions at the start to make a point and I actually had a huge group of kids come to me at the end and tell me they want to help. So we're going to be talking to the parents at the next PAC, and hopefully at the next PAC for the other high schools, and at the next meeting for the nurses. I'm also going to be writing to a couple newspapers and emailing a few BODs.
I talked to one of the nurses at the local clinic who actually tried campaigning a few years ago and got her wrists majorly slapped. She warned me to be careful because I could be risking suspension or expulsion (my dad told them he'd like to see them try) over this. The counsellors at my school won't have anything to do with it because they're scared of losing their jobs.
In the meantime, me and the leadership kids are putting together posters and brochures to decorate the school with on Valentines day. They're all about things like communication, consent, protection, stuff like that. And the posters are mainly just to promote safe sex in general (stuff like "no glove no love" and brief descriptions of things) I ordered a ton of condoms me and the students will be handing out during the V-day event at lunch, and if I can, I'm going to talk to the students during the event as well.

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How fantastic you have such a supportive parent with your activism! Go Dad!

And it is fantastic how you are digging in here and working to counter some of this. Rock on, you!

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68237 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.