Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Other people's stories make me paranoid

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Other people's stories make me paranoid
Member # 109529

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pf1410     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a 19 y-o female. I just started the pill for a week now. I started it on the 2nd day of my period, and my doctor said I shouldn't need backup (I have a looong cycle, 32-34 days and I bleed for 7-9 days depending on month). However, my boyfriend and I still used a condom on the 4th day I was on the pill (it's combination btw). I take them every day at 10:00-10:05, yesterday I went a little late and took it at 10:15 (had a hectic morning). I'm a very precise person because I don't want to get pregnant. I have a reminder on my phone (although I haven't been needing it, cuz forgetting is not an option when another being coming into the world is on the line). I'm using my pill perfectly, and I would like to have sex with my boyfriend without using a condom, but so far I keep reading these stories like "I was on the pill and got pregnant." Granted, I don't know if they took the pill at the same time everyday, but what if they did? That's terrifying. Or how about those stories that go "I was on the pill and he used a condom and we got pregnant" I'm scared that the one time I decide not to use a condom while on the pill, that bam I'll be that 1 out of 100 person. And even using a condom and the pill is making me paranoid. He even pulls out before ejaculating with the condom and I still get scared. I really want to put an end to this paranoia. This whole bit about pregnancy being "unlikely" doesn't help because it's still 1 out of 100 so what if the first time happens to be that statistic?
My boyfriend and I have been together for 13 months and I've had sex with him 3 times out of those 13 months. I'm turning 20 soon, so I should probably get a grip on my paranoia by now.
Maybe I should stop reading stuff from Yahoo! Answers... >.<

Oh and to add: we use a condom the ENTIRE time, BEFORE penetration.
and I am basically asking for reassurance at this point.

[ 02-06-2014, 11:37 AM: Message edited by: pf1410 ]

Posts: 2 | Registered: Feb 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, yes, reading uncredible information never helps anyone. So that is an easy thing you can control and do to help yourself.

Because no method is 100% effective, though, there are always people, every year, who become pregnant using any method. Dual contraception, using two methods, truly is the very best way to prevent pregnancy if and when people are gojng to engage in intercourse. That is what you are doing using condoms and the pill together.

It sounds to me like you very much do not want to become pregnant, so why not just stick with the pill and condoms combined? And if that does not feel like enough to allow to to feel comfortable, you have other options, too, like using a method more foolproof than the pill, like an IUD or implant, or opting out of intercourse until you do feel more okay about this.

There is no age, btw, at which someone is magically okay with any kind of sex or with certain risks. So, even if you were 40, those options would be acceptable, and it would also be okay to feel uncomfortable with a risk of pregnancy.

Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.