Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Got expired BCPs from the pharmacy.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Got expired BCPs from the pharmacy.
CraftyKid
Activist
Member # 95725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CraftyKid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went to the pharmacy a week ago to get my new pack of BCPs. I started them on Thursday. Today I noticed the pills expired 12/13. I know that I didn't get them mixed up with another pack because I don't have any other packs laying around the house. I am going to call the pharmacy and let them know.

I am worried that they may harm me because they are expired. Do you think they would make me sick if they were a month old? (I got them the last week in January and they expired in December)

Sorry, I am paranoid about drugs past their expiry date!

Posts: 65 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Generally the worry with past-date drugs is that they might be less effective, not that they'll hurt you, especially so soon after the expiration date.

I don't know if technically we can say "go ahead and take them, no worries" but I would be surprised if they were actively harmful. You might want to back up with condoms, if you are planning on being sexually active before calling the pharmacy and don't already do so.

Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CraftyKid
Activist
Member # 95725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CraftyKid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, thanks Molias!

I do already back up with condoms, I think I will see if I can get another pack just to be on the safe side.

It does make me feel better knowing they are probably not actively harmful! (Since I have taken 3 already)

Posts: 65 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's pretty likely that the pharmacy will just replace that pack with a new one free of charge, since it's their responsibility to keep non-expired products in stock.
Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CraftyKid
Activist
Member # 95725

I just called and they said they will replace them for free, like you said. [Smile]

Thanks so much for your advice!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.