Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Period vs. Spotting

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Period vs. Spotting
wilcatgirl
Activist
Member # 109425

Icon 3 posted      Profile for wilcatgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When it comes to a period and spotting what are the differences?
Posts: 111 | From: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi wilcatgirl,

Spotting will not really feel or look like a period. It also only occurs in a minority of women.

Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wilcatgirl
Activist
Member # 109425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilcatgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So how come so many women confuse spotting with a period
Posts: 111 | From: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Before answering, I want to ask: where did you hear that many women confuse the two?
Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wilcatgirl
Activist
Member # 109425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilcatgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Online, when I had sex ed classes years ago. And from friends
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

OK,I see.

Spotting will occur in a minority of women (20%-30%) and won't come at the same time, last the same number of days, or have the adjoining symptoms of a period.

Is there a reason you are concerned about spotting?

wilcatgirl
Activist
Member # 109425

Well I had sex and my boyfriend came inside of me but I'm on the ortho evra patch. I have been for 4 months and 11 days. I'm just freaking out. My period is supposed to come this Thursday so I just wanted to be aware of the differences in case idk I end up pregnant.
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Having looked at your other threads, I had thought this might be the case, but I wanted to ask you directly just to be sure.

So, I am going to second what the other volunteers have said and suggest that what you do is take a break from any discussions or research that will feed your anxiety (which includes reading on forums here ) and focus instead on self care and waiting this out. Ok?

wilcatgirl
Activist
Member # 109425

Ok....
wilcatgirl
Activist
Member # 109425

Im sorry to everyone for being so persistent on getting help and trying to calm myself down.
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We all get that you're anxious, and we do want to help, it's just that what we all think will help you most to calm down is taking a break from reading about pregnancy here or elsewhere. We're not asking you to do so because you're bothering us, we're asking you to do so because we think that's what's best for YOU.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5775 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.