Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Are these activities safe from HPV?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Are these activities safe from HPV?
NYLIgal
Neophyte
Member # 109437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NYLIgal         Edit/Delete Post 
Would it be safe for me (a woman), from hpv, if a guy wore a condom and stuck his penis out through the fly hole in his briefs (underwear, leaving his underwear on):
1. if we engaged in dry humping, if I have a thong on? What about without a thong (me naked)?
2. if I give him oral sex?

I was thinking that by him covering his midsection with his briefs (not boxers) and only exposing his covered penis. this would serve as a barrier to genital skin to skin contact. Am I correct, or is this still not safe from being exposed to hpv?

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi NYLIgal and welcome to Scarleteen,

When we talk about dry humping, we're actually talking about sexual activity in which partners are, if not fully clothed, then wearing enough clothing that their genitals are fully covered. If peple want to engage in dry humping, and want to make extra sure that their bare genitals don't touch, they'd just want to be sure to both be wearing underwear that isn't going to shift in any way (so, probably not a thong).

I can't tell you whether what you've described will be enough coverage or not, since that's just going to depend on what people are doing, whether a condom slips off by accident, whether underwear shifts, and so on.

Again, though, if one is looking to prevent STI transmission with genital contact, one would want to make sure the genitals are completely covered by clothing and that that clothing isn't likely to shift during activity in a way that brings bare genitals into contact with each other.

Here's some information about STI transmission.
STI Risk Assessment: The Cliff's Notes

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NYLIgal
Neophyte
Member # 109437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NYLIgal         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the feedback. Still wondering about the second part of my question...Would it be safe to give him oral if he is wearing a condom and my mouth only comes in contact with the covered penis? I am only asking about orally being exposed to hpv in the mouth.

Thanks again.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're welcome. [Smile]

This article addresses HPV and safer sex. HPV & Herpes: Why Safer Sex Isn't Always Safe Enough

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.