Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Bathroom sink?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bathroom sink?
Anxiousaa
Neophyte
Member # 109408

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anxiousaa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi scarleteen,

I hve a strange pregnancy question which I haven't been able to answer from the pregnancy scared article so I would really appreciate it if you could help me on this. I'm female and my boyfriend often comes over and hangs out. We don't do anything sexual as I'm not ready but we do kiss and cuddle together. Many times this makes my boyfriend aroused so he goes and masturbates in the bathroom, specifically in the bathroom sink. He then washes his hands and comes out. Tne reason why I'm worried is because I obviously use the same bathroom sink to wash and I'm always scared that what if theres still some semen left on the sink when I'm washing because often times my hands will touch the back part of the sink as I'm washing. Because when I use the bathroom often times I'll wash my vulva with water so I'm scared that there may be some sperm left on my hand from touching parts of the sink before touching myself. Is there a specific time I should wait before using the bathroom so that the sperm for sure die it if I wipe the back part of the sink will toilet paper before using it is that enough to kill the sperm? Sorry I know this is a strange question but since I found out he ejaculates onto the sink I've been pretty concerned .

Thanks for your help!

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is not something you need to concern yourself with in any way. Pregnancy cannot happen in ways like this. Have you read our content abiut how it actually does?

That said, just as a matter of etiquette and hygeine, if your boyfriend isn't wiping down or rinsing the sink, he should be doing that. But that is about germs and just good graces, not about pregnancy.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anxiousaa
Neophyte
Member # 109408

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anxiousaa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I have read the pregnancy scared and where did i come from articles along with other entries on the boards. Most of the information says that if a penis is not ejaculating directly only a vulva or inside a vagina, there is no risk. So does that mean that if some sperm is left on say a toilet seat or the sink tap, and my hand touches is and then I touch myself- since this is not "direct" that there is no risk? Maybe I am misunderstanding what direct means because I would think that if there is a blob of semen sitting on the sink or toilet seat and my hand touches it and gets wet, that if that same hand touches my vulva that there is a risk there.

I have told my boyfriend to clean after himself but since I am in charge of my own future, I would just like to make sure that I am taking precautions myself. Also- often times I visit public restrooms and I wonder, what if there's something on the back side of the sink under the tap that my hand might graze by.

Could you give me some steps to take that would ensure nothing would happen to me? I would so appreciate that.
Like is rinsing the back of the sink by splashing it with water enough? or should I wipe it down with toilet paper?

Thank you again for your help. I know this is a very specific question but I don't have any sex ex knowledge and come from a very private family so I haven't been taught much.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is indeed not direct. And again, none of these things are possible. They are simply, utterly, impossible.

When we say direct we mean from the place something comes from right to another place, with no stops in between. Just like a direct flight means a plane that goes from one place to another with no stops or layovers. A flight that is not direct will stop one or two other places with layovers in between.

There are no steps for anyone to give you to ensure any of this does not cause pregnancy because none of this can.

Have you already read our content about how pregnancy ACTUALLY happens, like this piece: Where DID I Come From? A Refresher Course in Human Reproduction

Also, have you ever by any chance had a mental health evaluation? I ask because some of what you are describing is the kind of thing people with certain anxiety disorders, like OCD, tend to get hung up on, or the way they tend to think.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anxiousaa
Neophyte
Member # 109408

I see. I do understand. I looked around the site and did some more of my own searches to see how 'direct' is defined by scarleteen. I came across the following comment and it explains that pregnancy cannot happen if sperm are transferred onto any surface in between. Does this commment still hold true? As for the mental health evaluation, I've never had any anxiety over this before. But like I said I just haven't gotten any sex ed lessons growing up so I'm very unaware of the details of what does cause pregnancy. But the article you linked me to has helped me.

Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted 02-16-2012 03:25 PM Profile for Robin Lee Send New Private Message Edit/Delete Post Reply With Quote
Sperm needs very specific conditions in which to stay alive and do its job. It needs, for one thing, the semen it lives in in order to travel. So, if there's just a drop of semen on someone's hand, there's no way for the sperm to move. The vagina is a very specific environment in which the sperm can survive longer in order to do its work. Any other environment won't let the sperm survive that way.
When exposed to the outside air, it dies. The tails break off and, that, coupled with the fact that it doesn't have it's fluid (the semen) to help it move, makes it really impossible for it to do anything. Basically, if semen takes any stops on its way from penis to vagina, such as onto a hand, it can't make someone pregnant.

Sexual activity that brings semen into contact with the vagina or vulva (external part of a woman's genitals) can pose a pregnancy risk. If the semen ends up anywhere else there is no pregnancy risk.

http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/27/t/027044/p/1.html

Edith_*
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 107716

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Edith_*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to hear the article was helpful. And yes, you got it right. That comment is true. [Smile]

--------------------
"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it " (...'cause no one else will) -Gandhi-

Posts: 420 | From: Somewhere over the rainbow* | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.