Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Birth Control Question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Birth Control Question
wildechild
Neophyte
Member # 109387

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wildechild     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello! I started birth control last month and, unsurprisingly, my period was weird because it was adjusting to the hormones. In short, it came a week before the inactive pills and continued into the first two days of inactive pills. I continued taking the pills throughout the rest of the pack. On the week of inactive pills after my period had ended I had sex and the condom leaked. As a precaution I took Plan B within 12 hours of the incident. My question is, if this happens in the future (my period comes early and I take take the inactive pills while off my period) am I protected from pregnancy during that time? I just don't see how the pills would stop me from ovulating if I was on the inactive ones so long after my period had stopped. Thanks in advance!
Posts: 3 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, just so you know, if you are taking a combined birth control pill properly, there is never a need for Plan B, since a) it is less effective than your pill, and b) your pill is already doing the things Plan B does.

When your withdrawal bleed -- what "periods" on hormonal methods are called -- occurs has nothing to do with your pill's effectiveness. So long as you are taking your pills properly and in the right order, you are equally protected from pregnancy every day of your cycle, including during the placebo period.

I'm not sure I understand what you aren't getting about how the pill works for suppress ovulation, or why you think that the withdrawal bleed has any impact on that, so maybe you could try asking me more specifically about that, or try voicing your confusion in a different way?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wildechild
Neophyte
Member # 109387

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wildechild     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry for the confusion. I guess I just assumed that your period had to coincide with the inactive pills for you to be protected on them. Obviously assumptions are not the most reliable source of medical information. So, to summarize your response, if I take the pill perfectly (which I do) then I am protected at all times even if I experience heavy withdrawal bleeding in place of my period. Thank you so much for your reply, my doctor didn't really explain to me how BC works when he prescribed it.
Posts: 3 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope.

So, to hopefully clear that up for you, when you get a "period" while using the pill, it's called a withdrawal bleed instead, because that flow is effectively manufactured by the pattern of the pills and their hormones themselves. Unlike menstrual periods, it really isn't a reflection of your fertility cycle, just something that happens because the pills make it happen and a person is not pregnant. Does that help?

If you take your pill as directed, you have the level of effectiveness the pill provides, which is over 99% in one year of use. When you have your withdrawal bleed is just when you have your withdrawal bleed: your pill isn't any less or more effective at that time.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wildechild
Neophyte
Member # 109387

Ok that makes sense. So the absence of an actual period was due to the fact that my withdrawal bleed was so heavy that there was nothing left to shed? I guess it doesn't really matter since you already answered my question about whether or not I was protected during that time. Thanks again!
Heather
Member # 3

Well, the absence of an actual period because now that you are using the pill, its hormones give your body different signals, signals that don't tell it to ovulate and menstruate.

But withdrawal bleeds are still a shedding of the uterine lining, so yep, if you get one at a given time, getting another soon after isn't likely: same goes for if you have a lot of spotting.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.