Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » White Discharge (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: White Discharge
wilcatgirl
Activist
Member # 109425

Icon 9 posted      Profile for wilcatgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
I have a white milky liquid on my underwear. Is this normal? Should I be worried?

Posts: 111 | From: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Edith_*
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 107716

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Edith_*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello there wilcatgirl! [Smile]

Discharge can vary through anyone's cycle. Have you seen this article we have about discharge?

Honorably Discharged: A Guide to Vaginal Secretions

[ 01-26-2014, 12:52 PM: Message edited by: Edith_* ]

--------------------
"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it " (...'cause no one else will) -Gandhi-

Posts: 420 | From: Somewhere over the rainbow* | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wilcatgirl
Activist
Member # 109425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilcatgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it true that white vaginal discharge is associated with early pregnancy?
Posts: 111 | From: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Edith_*
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 107716

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Edith_*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are a lot of things that are associated with pregnancy but also a lot of reasons -- others than pregnancy -- of why those things happen.

Vaginal secretion is not a way to know if someone is pregnant. The first symptom of a pregnancy is a missing period, and the only way to be sure if someone is pregnant is with a pregnancy test. [Smile]

That being said, yes, some people experience the kind of discharge you are describing when they are pregnant, some don't and some do but are not pregnant. [Smile]

--------------------
"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it " (...'cause no one else will) -Gandhi-

Posts: 420 | From: Somewhere over the rainbow* | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wilcatgirl
Activist
Member # 109425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilcatgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi edith,
I have posted before about having sex with no condom with my boyfriend. I have been on the ortho evra patch for 4 months and 10 days. We had sex a week ago and he came inside of me. We didn't use a condom but I was wearing my patch. I know you can't tell me whether I'm pregnant or not. but what are the chances that I am? I previously talked to heather about this but I'm still panicking. I could really use someone to talk to.

Edith_*
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 107716

I believe Heather already gave you this link but in case you didn't have the chance to read it, here it goes again:

The Contraceptive Patch

There you can find the effectiveness rates of the contraceptive method you are using.

I'm sorry to hear you are still feeling panicking but telling someone "what are the chances of being pregnant" is something we just can't do, you know? It depends on so many things that it is just out of our hands. But home pregnancy tests are very reliable so, by all means, if you think taking one would help you ease your mind that's something you can do. [Smile]

Also, I would like to make a note that if you are not comfortable with the level of risk you are taking maybe talking to your boyfriend and thinking about a second contraceptive method -- condoms, for example -- is something you both can discuss. Mind, is good remember that condoms are the only way to get protection from STI. [Smile]

[ 01-26-2014, 01:04 PM: Message edited by: Edith_* ]

--------------------

wilcatgirl
Activist
Member # 109425

Im supposed to get my period on thursday, so I hope it comes. Im just panicking and it's all that I think about.
Edith_*
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 107716

I totally hear you. Sometimes just waiting sucks! [Frown]

Maybe you can do some Self-Care while you wait. I'm going to leave this link for you -- one of my favorites, btw -- hoping it helps you a little. [Smile]

Self-Care a La Carte [Smile]

--------------------

wilcatgirl
Activist
Member # 109425

have you ever gone through this?
wilcatgirl
Activist
Member # 109425

being scared that your pregnant
Edith_*
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 107716

I've been scared of so many things so believe me when I say I feel you.

Again, I hear you voicing you are not comfortable with the level of risk you are taking and that makes me think maybe you need to take a break of intercourse or at least add condoms to it. I'm not trying to impose anything here, just giving you my 2 cents about it. [Smile]

Have told your boyfriend how you feel?

--------------------

wilcatgirl
Activist
Member # 109425

Yes I have. We normally use condoms, but this time obviously we didn't. I told him that if we don't use condoms you can't cum inside of me, but he said he did anyway because he wanted to see what it felt like since he'd never done it before. I told him after it happened that I won't have sex unless we use condoms anymore, and he said we can use whatever you want, I'm sorry i was being selfish. My thinking is though, that I won't be given a second chance to be more careful.
wilcatgirl
Activist
Member # 109425

He was my first, which is also why I'm panicking, but he said if i get my period than we are good. but if i don't, then we will deal with it together. Im not going to leave you.
Edith_*
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 107716

Your boyfriend ignoring what you said at first about not ejaculating inside of you is so NOT okay! I'm sorry he did that, wilcatgirl, and that he didn't respect your limits. [Frown]

Sounds like maybe a serious conversation about limits, boundaries and what level of risk are comfortable to each other is a good next step.

--------------------

wilcatgirl
Activist
Member # 109425

Trust me I have talked to him about it, and I plan to talk to him more. Ive been praying that Im not pregnant because thats not something I'm ready for. I know having sex, even on birth control there is still a slight risk, but I really don't want to be. Im hoping when thursday comes that I get my period. I am 21 and a junior in college, I just made the deans list. I have no idea what i will do or how i would even tell my family if i were. Heather told me she believes that Im ok. She said 2 things have to go wrong for me to be pregnant. My mom thinks I'm ok, my boyfriend thinks i am, his mom thinks i am, and my actual doctor believes i am. I just don't want to go thinking oh I'm ok and then it be the other result.
wilcatgirl
Activist
Member # 109425

I've been panicking and anxious like this since the 19th. Im losing weight because of it. I don't know what to do anymore.
Edith_*
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 107716

I understand that, but like you said if you are feeling this stressed and this worried maybe you should think about if taking a break from sex is a good thing for you, at least until you feel ready to deal with the emotional aftermath is having on you. Sex is supposed to make us feel better, not worse, know what I mean?

There is not a contraceptive method that is 100% safe against pregnancy. Most of them have very high rates of effectiveness but if still you are not feeling comfortable with the level of risk, again, I think you should at least think about the choicies you are making and if you are okay with them [Smile]

[ 01-26-2014, 02:21 PM: Message edited by: Edith_* ]

--------------------

wilcatgirl
Activist
Member # 109425

In your opinion, just knowing my situation. what do you think the outcome will be? I know its really hard to say..but i would just like to know your opinion.
Edith_*
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 107716

The thing is I can't give my opinion on something I don't know. The only way to know if someone is pregnant or not is by taking a pregnancy test.

What I can do is give you the facts. You were using your patch and I already linked you to the efficiency rates. And your period is not even late. So what if for now you just take a deep breath and try to focus on something else, something than makes you feel good. That way waiting won't feel like such a torture. [Smile]

--------------------

wilcatgirl
Activist
Member # 109425

I am trying to you the online chat..but after I click start. it won't take me anywhere
Edith_*
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 107716

I just tested and it is working. After clicking start it should take you to a window and the volunteer working the chat should be able to take your conversation. [Smile]

Want to try again?

--------------------

wilcatgirl
Activist
Member # 109425

It still not working. After I type in my question and click start, it deletes my question and stays on the same screen.
wilcatgirl
Activist
Member # 109425

now it says its offline, i guess i missed my chance. When will it go back online?
Edith_*
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 107716

Now. [Smile]

--------------------

Patricia H
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 103815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patricia H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi wilcatgirl,

I'd like to jump in and help out my fellow peer volunteer Edith if you don't mind. From reading this thread, it appears that there's a lot going on for you right now--the white discharge mystery, you being on your patch and the menses being affected by it, the pregnancy risk your partner got you into by violating your boundaries and not honoring your request; and that's not even taking into account stuff that's going on with you in school, your friends and family!! That's a lot to handle, regardless of how old you are, and believe me: if I were in your shoes, I wouldn't blame you for acting the way you are one bit.

And I commend you for seeking help and looking for answers even when you're freaking out and scared; some people just flat out panic and run around like headless chickens without getting anything solved. Being able to come to us to ask for help is very mature and brave, and we here at Scarleteen are honored that you came to us for help.

That being said, as much as we try to help users like you every hour of every day, and in every way possible, there are some things that we just can't do. Like I said in the beginning, you seem to have a lot on your plate right now. In order to better assist you, why don't you tell us exactly what you'd like for us to help you with? I know this will make you feel like you're repeating yourself again, and I'm sorry for that. On the bright side, the clearer you make your problem for us, the better we can help offer solutions to it. How does that sound?

And then we'll go from there. Ok?

--------------------
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum. - Margaret Atwood, The Handmaid's Tale

Posts: 234 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wilcatgirl
Activist
Member # 109425

Hi Patricia,
I have been on the patch since September 16, 2013. Today would make it 4 months and 10 days. On Sunday January 19, 2014 my boyfriend and I had sex with no condom. I was wearing the ortho evra patch. While we were having sex he ejaculated inside of me. I know the ortho evra patch works by wearing it for 3 weeks consecutively and having and off week, but you have to change it on the same day around the same time. My day of change are sundays around 10:00pm. I have never forgotten to put on a patch but I have put it on no more than 30 minutes late. The day him and I had sex was in the morning around 9:00. This night I changed into my third patch at 10:05pm. The last time I had my period before this encounter was January 2, 2014. I haven't missed a period yet, I'm supposed to start my period this thursday January 30th, 2014. What I'm mainly worried about are ho likely is it that i can be pregnant? I've been panicking a lot and just need someone to talk to. My mom knows everything thats going on. My mom, boyfriend, boyfriends mom, 3 friends, and my doctor say that based on my situation and how consistent I've been with the patch that pregnancy is unlikely. I do know that nothing is 100% effective. Even that 1-8% chance of pregnancy I'm aware of. I don't want to think oh I'm completely ok, because i know there is still a small risk. Sorry i tried to be as detailed as possible.

Patricia H
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 103815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patricia H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for getting back to us so quickly.

So I see you're worried about pregnancy. Perfectly understandable. However.

1. You're on birth control.
2. Despite small changes in when you do, you take your birth control pretty regularly and consistently.

--> You're already head and shoulders above someone who had sex and wasn't taking birth control.

3. You've talked to your mom, your boyfriend, your boyfriend's mom, 3 friends, and your doctor...in addition to us. That's quite a survey. And all 8 of us are essentially saying no, wilcatgirl, you can't get pregnant.

Not sure what we can do more here. I know you're panicking and you're scared. You asked eight different people for their input, and even when we all gave the same answer, you're still freaking out.

What is it that you're freaking out about? If all the people you know already know you've had a pregnancy risk, will actually getting pregnant mean the end of the world for you? Let's say worse comes to worse--everything failed, and you end up in that dreaded 1-8% who become pregnant despite everything.

Surprise: It's not the end of the world.

If it will make you calmer, talk this out with those 7 other people: what are my options if I do end up pregnant? Depending on your upbringing, even if you do end up pregnant, you still have options:

- carry the pregnancy to term, have the baby, and raise it yourself

- have an abortion

- carry the pregnancy to term, have the baby, and put it up for adoption

- other

So there you go. I know you're scared and freaking out, but judging from what little I've seen of your activity in this thread, it doesn't look like it's working out that great for you. And at the end of the day, this is still your problem you have to deal with. No one can take your pain and fears away from you. Only you can do that. The most we can do is answer your questions, check in on you to see how you're doing, and offer support with whatever decision you decide to go with. You just have to do it.

Ok?

--------------------
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum. - Margaret Atwood, The Handmaid's Tale

Posts: 234 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wilcatgirl
Activist
Member # 109425

So you believe that I am not pregnant?
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have no way of knowing whether or not you are pregnant: the only thing we can know is that your risk was very low, and it is very unlikely that you are pregnant. I know it would help if someone could say to you with absolute certainty "no, you are not pregnant", but that's just not possible.

The best thing you can do for yourself right now, I think, is to try and manage your anxiety. Have you taken a look at the self-care article that Edith linked you to up above? There are some really good strategies in there that you might find helpful. And, if none of those help, it may be a good idea to look into seeing a counsellor or therapist. (Universities usually have mental health care centres on campus, because so many students need them.)

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wilcatgirl
Activist
Member # 109425

I know it wasn't a no, what I meant is that you believe my chances are very low?
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. And it's not belief or opinion: that is fact, based on what we know about effectiveness rates of the birth control method that you are using.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wilcatgirl
Activist
Member # 109425

Even if I haven't been on it for a full year?
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Hormonal birth control is effective after one full month of use (whoever told you that it would only be effective after one year was incorrect). At this point you can be certain that your birth control is as effective as it can be.

--------------------

wilcatgirl
Activist
Member # 109425

Thank you very much. I was wondering if I were pregnant right now would I be feeling anything?
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Pregnancy isn't instantaneous: it takes anywhere from five days to almost two weeks to happen, so if you were pregnant (which, again, is unlikely) then you would only JUST be pregnant and not feeling anything yet.

Again though, I think your best course of action here is not to focus on all the what-ifs, but to concentrate on dealing with your anxiety. Something that we know well about anxiety is that it is usually made worse, not better, by continuing to immerse yourself in whatever is causing that anxiety. I asked you before, but didn't get a reply, whether you've had the chance to try out some of the strategies in the self-care article that Edith linked you to. It's right here in case you need that link again: Self-Care a La Carte

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.