Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » What way might a condom fail?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What way might a condom fail?
ImaRocketDog2
Neophyte
Member # 96982

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ImaRocketDog2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe this is a bit unnecessary to ask, but just to be sure: is there any other way a condom can fail besides it breaking or slipping off? I think I just need a little reassurance, even though I should understand that the 2% of failures in perfect uses are a result of the condom itself having a problem, which caused it to tear/break/come off. I just wanted to make sure that's correct; I know the thought of semen somehow seeping through an intact condom is pretty ridiculous, but I just like knowing that if my partner and I used a condom correctly and it did not slip or break, then that means that that sex could not result in pregnancy. Thank you very much!

--------------------
Kirk/Spock: A better love story than Twilight since 1966

Posts: 12 | From: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Edith_*
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 107716

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Edith_*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello there!

You are right there. The way for a condom to fail is tearing, break and slip. Condoms having microscopic holes and letting semen pass through is just a myth. Some reasons for condoms to fail could be: of course, using them inconsistently, not using them properly (adding lube inside and outside or holding the base while pulling out), damage from fingernails, expired or when they were stored in a wrong place.

Maybe this link can give you more information about it:

Condom Basics: A User's Manual [Smile]

--------------------
"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it " (...'cause no one else will) -Gandhi-

Posts: 420 | From: Somewhere over the rainbow* | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ImaRocketDog2
Neophyte
Member # 96982

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ImaRocketDog2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you very much. I know it's silly, but sometimes simply knowing the facts just doesn't seem to be enough. In the moment, I don't worry about it because the condom is still perfectly intact... but then a few days or weeks later my period acts a bit funny and I start think back to how something might've happened to nullify that perfect condom use and my BC pill. Sometimes a little reassurance is all it takes. [Smile]

--------------------
Kirk/Spock: A better love story than Twilight since 1966

Posts: 12 | From: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Edith_*
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 107716

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Edith_*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're welcome! [Smile]

And it's not silly. Asking is always a good thing to do. If you like facts then maybe you would enjoy this article that talks about combining methods:

The Buddy system: Effectiveness Rates for Backing Up Your Birth Control With a Second Method [Smile]

[ 01-18-2014, 08:21 PM: Message edited by: Edith_* ]

--------------------
"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it " (...'cause no one else will) -Gandhi-

Posts: 420 | From: Somewhere over the rainbow* | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.