Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » BCP: How do I know?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: BCP: How do I know?
endplusone
Neophyte
Member # 108589

Icon 1 posted      Profile for endplusone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've become sexually active with my significant other. I have been taking the pill for two months now, consistently at the same time every day, with no problems. A couple of times we didn't use a condom, but we usually do. I've now had two withdrawal periods.

I understand that they aren't really periods, but if they aren't...what do I use as an indicator that I may be pregnant (even if the chances are very low)? Does this mean I have to or should take an HPT?

[ 01-21-2014, 08:21 AM: Message edited by: endplusone ]

Posts: 7 | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Endplusone,

If a person becomes pregnant while on the pill, they will not get withdrawal bleeds. So, it's the same as looking out for a missed period. If you miss either a period or withdrawal bleed, and you've been engaging in sexual activity that can lead to pregnancy, it's then sound to take a pregnancy test.

Does this help?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
endplusone
Neophyte
Member # 108589

Icon 1 posted      Profile for endplusone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for your response. My healthcare provider never discussed this with me when I started the pill (she was rather rushed for time). Plus, my questions were more oriented toward preventing pregnancy, not what to look for if I were to become pregnant. Searching the Internet for this issue garners mixed opinions/responses.

If you have time, could you (or anyone else) explain the biology behind why a withdrawal bleed means there is no pregnancy? If the pill "tricks" your body into believing it is pregnant, why does an endometrial lining still develop so that you bleed during the placebo week of the pill pack, as compared to when one is actually pregnant?

[ 01-21-2014, 09:48 AM: Message edited by: endplusone ]

Posts: 7 | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, when someone is actually pregnant, they continue to develop that lining to nourish a fetus. So, pregnant or not, pill or not, that lining is usually going to develop in anyone with a functioning uterus and reproductive system.

The pill does not trick your body, exactly, into thinking it is pregnant, but if that is the shorthand for what it does that works best for you to understand it, then think of it not as a constant "pregnancy," but as one that results in the end of that pregnancy each time the placebo pills start. Make sense?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
endplusone
Neophyte
Member # 108589

So when I have a withdrawal bleed, it means there was no egg released or no fertilized egg. Otherwise the lining would have stayed intact. Correct?
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You got it. [Smile]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
endplusone
Neophyte
Member # 108589

Okay, good. Thank you for your help.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.