Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » goalie44

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: goalie44
beaver987
Activist
Member # 95850

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaver987         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello again. I was thinking about switching to thr depo provera shots. Ive read a few of the articles on it here, but still had a couple questions. Do medications or vomiting decrease the effectiveness like the pill? Or is the only way it fails is when the shots aren't taken on time? Is it usually more or less expensive than the pill? Is it considered more expensive? I take my pill everyday on time and have never missed one in almost 2 years, but the shot seems even more effective and foolproof. I am looking for a method that is covered by my insurance, is foolproof, and will work well for college and the sunmer.

Thank you for answering my questions!

Posts: 155 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Beaver987,

You are correct that the shot is rated as having a slightly higher efficacy rate than the pill (although their rates for perfect use are more or less the same). It sounds like you've done your research and know what qualities you are looking for in a BC method, which is awesome.

Honestly, the best person for you to be discussing these questions with is your healthcare provider, especially ones that have to do with your insurance and the interactions of a BC method with any medications you may be taking If the shot seems like a more appealing option to you, then an appointment to talk with them should be your first step.

Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beaver987
Activist
Member # 95850

If you vomit while on the shot, will it be ineffective for a while like the pill? Also, does it only fail when it is not recieved on time? (After 3 months). Are there medications that interact with the shot the same as the pill? Thank you!
Posts: 155 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is some information to get you started: Depo-Provera (The Shot)

And if you think that the shot sounds right for you, then the person to talk to for further information is your doctor.

(Also: vomitting or diarrhea do not make the pill ineffective. If that happens before the pill was fully absorbed, then it may lower the effectiveness.)

[ 01-18-2014, 04:30 AM: Message edited by: September ]

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, vomiting doesn't impact Depo Provera. Vomiting potentially impacts the pill (depending on when that vomiting happens) because the pill enters the body via the digestive system. The shot enters the body via the bloodstream; hence, vomiting doesn't make a difference.

Have you had a chance to look through the information on our site about the shot? If not, here you go:
Depo-Provera (The Shot)

You'll see that the typical and perfect use effectiveness rates are similar. pretty much the only reason the shot would fail because of user error is if someone didn't get their shot on time.

Take a read through that page and see I if it answers the other questions you have.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beaver987
Activist
Member # 95850

I noticed weight gain seems to be a huge problem with the shot. Do girls usually gain a lot of weight? I'm about 140, so I don't know if i can afford 11 more pounds. Or does this occur in just some people. I've heard its a common side effect on some sites and a rare side effect on others.
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The thing with side effects, to *any* medication, is that there's really no way to predict who will get which ones (if any) and who won't.. Some people do gain a small amount of weight when using a hormonal contraceptive (the pill also has that listed as a side effect) but it's really not possible for us to say whether it's common or rare. Bodies are just too individual.

Do you have a healthcare provider you can book an appointment with to talk about the pros and cons of different birth control options, and whether the shot (or anything else) would be a better choice for you than the pill?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beaver987
Activist
Member # 95850

Well, I'm looking for a longer term method that will be somewhat or fully covered by my insurance. The things that it covers are the shot, nuva ring, pills, sponge, diaphram and a few others...it seems like the shot would be the most effective longer term foolproof option for me.
Edith_*
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 107716

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Edith_*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good. Then, your next step would be to talk with your healthcare provider to discuss stuff like your insurance coverage and anything else you are interested in asking. [Smile]

Do you already have a healthcare provider? If not and you need help finding one, that's something we'd be happy to help you with. [Smile]

--------------------
"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it " (...'cause no one else will) -Gandhi-

Posts: 420 | From: Somewhere over the rainbow* | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beaver987
Activist
Member # 95850

Yes, I do! Also, one more question. I read on one website that a side effect of the pill is possible infertility later on in life. Is this the case? Thank you again! [Smile]
Edith_*
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 107716

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Edith_*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes you do have a healthcare provider or, yes you need help finding one? [Smile]

And no, the pill does not affect your fertility. If someone is going to have fertility problems, they will have them regardless of using the pill or not.

--------------------
"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it " (...'cause no one else will) -Gandhi-

Posts: 420 | From: Somewhere over the rainbow* | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beaver987
Activist
Member # 95850

So, I'm currently on the pill right now. I've nevet missed one or been late, never vomited while taking it, but my stools have never been hard. They're usually soft. I'm not exactly sure of the type of dihrrea affects the pill, but I was wonderig if having soft (but not watery or not needing to go frequently) constitutes as diahrrea that affects the pill? I'm starting to make myself believe that the pill is not working now that I'm hearing everything that can fail with it and the fact that some women still ovulate while taking the pill frequently. That's why I was thinking about possibly switching to the shot.

Also, is it true that you should only be on the shot for up to 2 years? I was hoping to be on it for 4 years through college if I switched. Thank you again for your responses.

Edith_*
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 107716

I do not have the information with me about if you can be on the shot more than two years but, again, these are all good questions for your healthcare provider. [Smile]

I'll leave a note for when other volunteers are around to come if they have better knowledge about this topic. [Smile]

--------------------

Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's definitely ok to be on the shot for more than two years. =) We have a bunch of information on it here, which you might find helpful: Depo-Provera (The Shot)
Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.