Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Birthcontrol

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Birthcontrol
KJK2
Activist
Member # 104647

Icon 10 posted      Profile for KJK2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just curious because in my information packet for Lo Loestrin Fe it states to take the same time each day. I've read all the articles on here that explain it or relate to it but I was still left with questions. If you could please answer these it would be appreciated [Smile]

1) Does taking it within a half an hour one day of your normal time still count you as a perfect pill user? (Normally I do take it the exact time every day)

2) What is the actual time window for taking a low dose combined pill? Is it different for lower dosages?

Posts: 87 | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Half an hour earlier or later would still be considered perfect use. With combined pills, no matter the dosage, you have three hours either side of your normal pill-taking time in which it would still be considered on time. So if you normally take it at noon, you could take it as early as 9 am or as late as 3 pm and it would still be on time. A pill isn't considered late unless it's taken at least 12 hours after your usual time. (Keep in mind though that even though you're a perfect user, the rate of effectiveness for perfect use are determined in a very controlled setting - even with perfect use, most people will have somewhere between perfect use and typical use effectiveness.)

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KJK2
Activist
Member # 104647

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KJK2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But you tend to have more towards the perfect if you take it daily at the same time every day with no interfering antibiotics correct?

--------------------
KJK2

Posts: 87 | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Karybu said, it's not necessary to take the pill at the exact same time each day in order for it to still be effective. Many people find it useful to do so to make sure they remember to take it, but the important thing is to take it at around the same time of day.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KJK2
Activist
Member # 104647

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KJK2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But my question was on the effectiveness rating leaning more towards perfect use ratings if the pill is taken close to the same time every day?

Also I know when the pill is combined with condons the risk is as low as it can be?

--------------------
KJK2

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's some info on combining birth control methods.

The Buddy System: Effectiveness Rates for Backing Up Your Birth Control With a Second Method

using condoms also reduces the risks of STI transmission.

Taking the pill at around the same time of day is taking it correctly, so it'll be as effective as it can be. It's really not possible for us to say, beyond that, how effective it will be for each individual person.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to be clear, "perfect use" with any method truly just means taking it as directed, per the directions your patient information leaflet gives you.

So, the way that leaflet, and any other prescribing information, says to take it? If you do that, every day (or every time you use a method with methods like cervical barriers or condoms you might not use every day), it's perfect use.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KJK2
Activist
Member # 104647

I have another question, as to what Heather said, I consider myself a perfect use pill taker. However, my past two cycles seem to have changed to occur 3-4 days before my estrogen only pills (I take Lo Loestrin Fe). I read a message board that said our bodies have a mind of it's own and cause our withdrawal to happen when it wants it to. Does this sound like a cause for concern?

--------------------
KJK2

Edith_*
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 107716

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Edith_*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi KJK2!

Periods sometimes - and often do- change. That's not unusual, and not a reason to get concerned. What we say is that our bodies are not machines and they won't always act the same way. There are a lot of reasons for a period to come before or after the date we are "supposed" to have it. Excercise, stress, hormones imbalance, diet, etc. So, if you ask me, I don't think you have anything to worry about. [Smile]

--------------------
"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it " (...'cause no one else will) -Gandhi-

Posts: 420 | From: Somewhere over the rainbow* | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KJK2
Activist
Member # 104647

So if a month ago my withdrawal bleed was about 3 days before my placebos and my past withdrawal was 5 days before, should expect my next withdrawal to be around the same time?

--------------------
KJK2

KJK2
Activist
Member # 104647

Also is having my period before my placebos a problem or unusual?

--------------------
KJK2

Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not a problem to start your withdrawal bleed before you get to the placebos. If it's something you're not happy about, you can talk about it with the healthcare provider who prescribed you your pill; but again, it's not a problem in itself. It makes sense to think that you might start your withdrawal bleed around that time in the future, but equally, you might not - there isn't any way of knowing.

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

There's really no way to predict whether your withdrawal bleed will continue to arrive before your placebo week starts.

I'm a little baffled as in one post you're referring to estrogen-only pils while in another you're referring to placebo pills. Placebo pills do not contain estrogen. They're pills with no active ingredients that are there as placeholders.

--------------------
Robin

KJK2
Activist
Member # 104647

In lo loestrin fe it says there's two estrogen only pills and two pills only containing iron and the other 24 are the combined pills

--------------------
KJK2

KJK2
Activist
Member # 104647

Can you explain how a withdrawl bleed occurs before the "placebo week" I guess if I'm referring to it wrong?

--------------------
KJK2

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Ah, okay, so that's how your pill brand works. I'm not familiar with all of the pill brands. The iron-only pills are the ones that don't contain any hormone.

Even on the birth control pill, our bodies aren't always going to do the same thing, and sometimes other hormonal shifts in the body, not related to the pill, can impact what your body does. If you continue to have a withdrawal bleed that comes before the estrogen-only pills, it's worth mentioning to your healthcare provider so they can advise you but this happening isn't usually cause for concern.

--------------------
Robin

KJK2
Activist
Member # 104647

Sorry for another question, but when you guys say there's a three hour window to take your pill, is that three hours after your normal pill time or a three our window like you take your pill at 10ish pm and you can take it between 9-11pm?

--------------------
KJK2

Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to be clear (because it seems there was some misunderstanding in here):
- combined pills have a 12 hour grace period
- minipills, a three hour one.

Your pill is a combined pill. So, you have a twelve-hour window within which to take it when you take it each day before it is late.

So, if you took your pill today, for example, at 8 AM, you would ideally take it at 8 AM tomorrow, but could take it as late as 7:59 PM tomorrow and it still would not be late.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KJK2
Activist
Member # 104647

Oh! Okay that clarifies the 12 hour grace period too, thanks so much!

--------------------
KJK2

Heather
Member # 3

Yay!

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

KJK2
Activist
Member # 104647

So I have another question regarding the time frame. So as long as you, say take your pill within an hour of your normal time you'd still have the same effectiveness as taking the pill at the same time everyday right?

--------------------
KJK2

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Hi KJK2,

Have you seen this article? It has pretty much any information about the timing of taking one's pill that you might want. [Smile]

http://www.scarleteen.com/article/advice/three_questions_about_taking_the_birth_control_pill_and_plenty_of_answers

--------------------
Robin

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.