Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Yaz and mid-month bleeding

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Yaz and mid-month bleeding
saphira2013
Neophyte
Member # 104162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for saphira2013     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey dear scarleteen,

So I'm one and a half months into taking yaz after stopping it after half a year of using it without any any side effects. I've been having sex with my boyfriend however we're both careful and use condoms every time and they've never slipped or leaked. The last two weeks have been really hard on me because I had to go to London and when I got back my mother entered hospital with a heart attack not to mention my incredibly stressful course, so I haven't been getting any sleep or rest.
Now, last month I got my withdrawal as usual, but about two days ago I got some brown spotting and feeling these achy cramps that feel as though my period is about to come (I'm half way through my second box of pills) and today I found some bright red blood.
I'm pretty sure (I'm trying really hard to be rational about it, but my anxiety isn't having much of that) that this isn't pregnancy because I'm a very good pill taker and have had no slip ups with the condoms, but I didn't think that cramps and bleeding could happen while on the active pills? Could the stress be a factor?
Thank you!

Posts: 35 | From: Malta | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is possible to have both spotting and a bleed while taking active pills. That can happen for no apparent reason at all, but in your case it may also be to do with starting taking the pill recently, as it can take a little time for the body to settle in, and the stress you're talking about.

If you've been using contraception correctly, pregnancy is deeply, deeply unlikely. Also, bleeding is a sign that one is not pregnant. As I wrote above, there's a much more likely explanation [Smile]

The cramps and bleeding you're describing don't sound like anything to worry about. They sound like a normal variation.

How are you doing with your stressful situation? Do try to take care of yourself as best you can. Is there anything we can do to help you with that?

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1444 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saphira2013
Neophyte
Member # 104162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for saphira2013     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for your reassuring reply [Smile] I needed somebody to tell me I'm being unrealistic and catastrophising. My anxious mind simply jumped to 'omg that's implantation bleeding' while my rationality facepalmed and replied 'you had sex last weekend and are having spotting some days later BUT you've been careful and just mega stressed out, and anyway, implantation bleeding probably wouldn't last 3+ days with no sign off abating'. I'm convinced that it's stress or pill related, but I have my graduation prom tomorrow and the cramps and worry are ruining it for me... Sigh. Paranoia and anxiety a not a nice mix.
My stress is likely to go on for a while because I'm being torn to pieces with all that's going on with no time whatsoever for me, but after next week it should get better. I usually run to relax but the weather has been awful and I've been too busy anyway. Hopefully a hot bath and tea will help, if I find a time to squeeze those in. I do thank you wholeheartedly for being so nice and helpful!! *hugs*

Posts: 35 | From: Malta | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm glad that you have some self-care strategies in place. That's even more important when there's big stuff going on that takes so much time and energy.

You're very welcome [Smile]

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1444 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.