Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Switch of BC

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Switch of BC
Eugenia123
Neophyte
Member # 108944

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Eugenia123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, my name is Eugenia. I'm from Ecuador, South America, but I'm living in Illinios with my boyfriend. I arrived less than a month ago. I have a question about switching BC, I just realased that there are a lot of differences between US and my country, specifically in health services so I'm not sure if you can help me but I'll try to explain myself the best; thank you very much for any help you could give me and let me apologize for my bad english, I'm still practising it.

At Ecuador I used to use a combined shot called TOPASEL (algestona and estradiol), you need to use it once a month and place it 8 days after the first day of your period. The last time I was given the shot was October.
Then I came to Illinios but I couldn't find TOPASEL so I bought another one called MESIGYNA (noretisterona and estradiol) that its also a monthly shot but you need to place it the first day of your period. So at November I was given MESIGYNA the first day of my period, within the days I was still protected by TOPASEL. The men at the pharmacy told me that there won't be any problem if I use MESIGYNA since the first day of period...

The question is: overlapping is a correct way of switching BC shots? there weren't any days in between one shot and the other one. I'm still at my 5 day of period and my sister is flying here tomorrow so I can tell her to bring me TOPASEL so I can place it the 8 day...but, it's that necessary?
I read that MESIGYNA protects you after 24 hours if you had been using already hormonal contraception, I had intercourse 4 days after the shot ( today: 5 day of period). Was that irresponsible? I did a lot of research but I'm still nervous.

Thank you very much for your time.

[ 11-23-2013, 08:34 PM: Message edited by: Eugenia123 ]

Posts: 2 | From: Illinois | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Edith_*
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 107716

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Edith_*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hola Eugenia! Welcome to Scarleteen! [Smile]

Please don't apologize for your English. You sound just fine! (Spanish speaker here, but from Mexico). [Smile]

If your pharmacist told you there would not be a problem with your shot, then I think it's sound to trust him. They usually have good information. Birth control is not my area of expertise but I wanted to let you know that someone saw your post and as soon as another volunteer comes in I know they will gladly answer your question better than me.

Of course, one thing you can always do, if you still feel uncertain with how well protected you are with your BC, is back up with condoms. [Smile]

--------------------
"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it " (...'cause no one else will) -Gandhi-

Posts: 420 | From: Somewhere over the rainbow* | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eugenia123
Neophyte
Member # 108944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eugenia123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you very much for your answer.
It will be really helpfull if someone in your team could help me with this issue.

Thanks again.

Posts: 2 | From: Illinois | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patricia H
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 103815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patricia H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Eugenia,

Thanks so much for your patience! Edith, my fellow peer volunteer, alerted me about your post. Unfortunately, like Edith, birth control is also not my area of expertise, so I don't know the answers specifically regarding Topasel and Mesigyna.

What I can tell you, however, is that it is always good practice to check in with a healthcare provider whenever you are either considering or are about to change medications. While the pharmacists are well and good, they may not know about how Topasel might or might not react with Mesigyna, or what to tell you about what to expect in terms of side effects, physical body changes, etc. A good place to go for this is a gynecologist /women's health clinic and/or a Planned Parenthood, where they have nurses and physicians who can sit down with you to talk about the type of birth control you're interested in changing over to.

Would you like for us to help you seek out doctors in your area whom you can call and make an appointment to meet with?

--------------------
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum. - Margaret Atwood, The Handmaid's Tale

Posts: 234 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just so it is clear, any healthcare provider you see here about contraception is going to consider any medications - including other contraception - you are currently using or have recently used. And they are going to make sure with that information, whatever you choose next is both sound for your health and effective for you.

So, this not only isn't something you have to figure out on your own with help from a place like ours, it is something you, or we, really can't. It is something only your new prescribing physician can do and also will do.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.