Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » spotting question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: spotting question
Clemintange
Neophyte
Member # 95884

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clemintange     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started Alesse-28 14 days ago in the middle of my cycle. I did this because I am going on vacation and didn't want to have my period during that time. I have been very diligent about taking all of my pills at 5pm, with the exception of one day when I took it at 6pm instead. My period was due to start on the 21st and since starting my pill I had been having normal PMS cycles: breast tenderness, emotional, cramping, ect. I figured that this was due to starting the pill in the middle of my cycle and my hormones being all jumbled up. My period didn't come on the 21st, but instead yesterday evening I started having brownish discharge, and today I am having a light flow. I don't know if this is my period or if it is just spotting? If it is spotting will it last as as long as my regular period? And if it's my period does that mean I have been taking my pills wrong? I was under the suspicion that even if I started in the middle of my cycle that I wouldn't get my period if I was taking my pills (or was that misinformation?). Also if it is my period will this affect the effectiveness of my pills later? Thanks.
Posts: 13 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Taking the pills in a manner other than directed (3 weeks of active pills, than one pill-free week) can result in irregular bleeding or spotting. We cannot tell you how long this spotting will last, and whether you will still also bleed during your next pill-free week. That kind of unpredictability is always the risk one takes when trying to skip a bleed.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9187 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.