Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Missed period, not pregnancy risk question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Missed period, not pregnancy risk question
KJK2
Activist
Member # 104647

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KJK2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've looked around this site and have asked many questions to better my understanding, this post is more of a confirmation that what I've looked at it correct.

I've missed my withdrawal bleed for this month, but I know that can be common on my birth control, because my doctor said it might happen. I took the pill at 10:30 pm every night, until we had daylight savings, but I continued to take it at 10:30 even with the time difference. I didn't have sex until the Friday of my third week of bc pills, we also used condoms. I looked at it afterwards, and according to my understanding a hole or tear would be noticeable whether big or small. But all the stuff seemed to still be inside so I assumed it worked correctly, and it didn't slip. I know my chances of being pregnant are low with the combination of the pill and the condom. However, a missed withdrawal can be scary your first time.

I assume I haven't had any pregnancy risks, because I had protected sex and because I took my pill within an hour for the entire cycle. Should I just assume that the missed period is just a result from taking a low dose birth-control pill?

--------------------
KJK2

Posts: 87 | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Edith_*
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 107716

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Edith_*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there KJK2! [Smile]

Because you are taking your BC in the way it should be taken and also using condoms as a back-up, I would say you are pretty well covered. Periods often can change even when we are on the pill. I understand that when we don't get our period sometimes can be scary, so you can always have the option to take a pregnancy test if you want. [Smile]

Here is a good link about using two methods of birth control that can be useful:

The Buddy System: Effectiveness Rates for Backing Up Your Birth Control With a Second Method

--------------------
"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it " (...'cause no one else will) -Gandhi-

Posts: 417 | From: Somewhere over the rainbow* | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KJK2
Activist
Member # 104647

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KJK2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So the time change shouldn't have affected my pill?

--------------------
KJK2

Posts: 87 | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patricia H
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 103815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patricia H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey there,

In regards to your most recent question, the best person to ask would be the healthcare provider who prescribed the birth control to you. While we here can provide you and everyone else with general information regarding different types of birth control and how they work, we are no substitute for actual and specific information that your doctor can provide; in addition, they would know your medical history and have it all down on records so they can better track how you are doing on the pill.

But above all, we highly suggest asking your doctor simply because we don't want to give you the wrong information.

Hope this helps.

--------------------
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum. - Margaret Atwood, The Handmaid's Tale

Posts: 231 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An hour's difference in the time you take your pill (which is what happens with daylight savings) shouldn't make any difference, but some people's bodies are more sensitive to small changes like that than others, so it's a possibility. However, that change would not compromise the effectiveness at all, so there's no concern there.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5730 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.