Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Nuvaring Question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Nuvaring Question
missreyna
Neophyte
Member # 108909

Icon 1 posted      Profile for missreyna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello! First of all I just wanted to say you guys are great! So, on to my questions.

I started Nuvaring last month, and so far I'm loving it! I've been a little concerned this month, however. I put my ring in four hours late this time around. Does that change the effectiveness?

Also, I was wondering, since you're not supposed to rinse the Nuvaring with hot water should it come out, if I get water in my vagina during a bath (I rinse myself out a little on occasion), does that change its effectiveness? I figured probably not since it's still sitting in my vagina, and since the ring has a four week supply of hormones in it and I'm using it for three weeks. Does anybody know?

Posts: 12 | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Missreyna,

When you say you put it in four hours late, does that mean you put it in four hours later than normal after leaving it out for the fourth week of the cycle?

Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
missreyna
Neophyte
Member # 108909

Icon 1 posted      Profile for missreyna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I left the ring in for three weeks, took it out for one, and normally I put it in around 9 exactly a week later but I put it in around 1 on the same day, so four hours late. I don't leave it in for four weeks, I take it out so I get my period.
Posts: 12 | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
missreyna
Neophyte
Member # 108909

I didn't have sex until a week after though, and I took Plan B afterwards.
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think putting it in four hours late will compromise your effectiveness much. It's good to aim for putting it in at the same time each month, but 3-4 hours won't make much of a distance.

Bathing with the ring in won't change the effectiveness, either. =)

Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.