Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Condom Clarification

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Condom Clarification
KJK2
Activist
Member # 104647

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KJK2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read someone's post on here, but just wanted to clarify. You can tell when a condom has malfunctioned such as when if breaks or tears? For example, if all the cum is still at the tip and there are no tears, it has been used correctly.

--------------------
KJK2

Posts: 87 | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that's right. And, of course, the condom should still be on the penis when the penis is taken out of whichever body part it was in or on, and the condom should be on the penis for all contact. If a condom is only put on part way through, or only after the first five seconds, that's not proper usage. This should have all the info you need: Condom Basics: A User's Manual

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KJK2
Activist
Member # 104647

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KJK2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay thanks for clarifying and thanks for getting back so quickly! You guys are really helpful [Smile]

--------------------
KJK2

Posts: 87 | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KJK2
Activist
Member # 104647

One more clarification on condoms. I've looked at every article and many message boards. You have told me before that when condoms DO actually break it is a noticeable tear. Also i know most tears are due to user error. So to clarify you don't have to fill it with water or look at it SUPER close to tell whether it worked or not afterwards correct? It would be easily recognizable whether it worked or not?

[ 10-30-2013, 09:32 PM: Message edited by: KJK2 ]

--------------------
KJK2

Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's correct. There's absolutely no need to fill a condom with water or examine it super-closely afterwards because a break or tear will be obvious.

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KJK2
Activist
Member # 104647

By obvious you mean like completely destructed such as the popped balloon?

Sorry just trying to understand

--------------------
KJK2

Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Yes, that's exactly what Heather said in a previous conversation you've had with her, here: http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/2/t/014390.html#000001

--------------------

KJK2
Activist
Member # 104647

So let me get this straight from all this advice, if a condom is used from start to finish, doesn't slip, doesn't have an obvious year/hole, and if there is fluid inside the condom we can assume it did its job?

--------------------
KJK2

Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Correct. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KJK2
Activist
Member # 104647

And if the condom had broken or torn there wouldn't be any fluid in it. Is all this correct?

[ 11-18-2013, 09:47 AM: Message edited by: KJK2 ]

--------------------
KJK2

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not really sure what you mean here. Could you clarify, please?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KJK2
Activist
Member # 104647

You confirmed that if there is fluid in the condom we can assume it worked properly. Would there be any if it hadn't worked?

--------------------
KJK2

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Well, sure. If the person hadn't ejaculated there wouldn't be any fluid.

Really, I feel like we're running in circles here. You've read about how condoms work. Anything we tell you here is going to be the same information as what you've already read in our articles.

If you still don't feel secure with this information, I'd suggest that taking a break from sexual activities in which you're using condoms would be your next step.

--------------------
Robin

KJK2
Activist
Member # 104647

People have just told me stories where a condom break wasn't noticeable and I don't know whether condoms can break without it being noticeable or not, like they said. That's the only point where I'm kinda confused, so I'm assuming if there would be liquid in the condom afterwards , then the chances of the condom being broken are slim. But if there isn't we could assume it had broken. But also wouldn't a little tear become big due to friction? So how is it possible a condom could be broken without it being noticeable?

--------------------
KJK2

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When a condom breaks from friction, it is going to tend to look like a popped balloon.

On the other hand, if and when condoms degrade -- like due to being stored improperly, or because of using a lubricant that wears the latex, it is possible for there to be more like small holes (but still big enough to see) that, in time, would wear away to a break.

"Stories," told by people anecdotally, especially secondhand, are really not anything we can speak to with this, like other issues. The best we can always advise folks to do is balance information like that with sounder, more broad information.

Sounds like you already have had that as far as we can give it to you. What is the reality this is connected to for you right now? Is this about an actual situation that already happened, or about you asking how to use condoms and how they work in advance of using them?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KJK2
Activist
Member # 104647

My bf told me the other day he's never had a condom break on him, and I wanted to educate myself on how to notice it, in the case it ever does happen. I'm on the pill and we use condoms, so I know my chances of pregnancy are slim to none. However I just wanted to make sure I would know how to recognize a condom that has malfunctioned. If condoms are stored and put on properly, then I would assume they would look like a popped balloon if they malfunctioned.

--------------------
KJK2

Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Breakage is actually rare, as far as condom failure goes, and especially rare when people are using them as directed. Slipping off is a more standard way condoms fail, when they do.

Do you feel like your questions about this are answered now?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KJK2
Activist
Member # 104647

Yes thanks so much and I'm sorry if I do ask a lot of questions, it's just I know you guys are reliable sources when it comes to this kind of stuff

[ 11-18-2013, 08:35 PM: Message edited by: KJK2 ]

--------------------
KJK2

Heather
Member # 3

Sure thing. I would also be happy to build you a list of links at the site with our condom content.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

KJK2
Activist
Member # 104647

Yes please [Smile] so basically from what you said about slipping and breaking, it's obvious when a condom malfunctions. It's not something you wouldn't be able to notice.

--------------------
KJK2

KJK2
Activist
Member # 104647

I think I got it now [Smile]

--------------------
KJK2

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.