Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Condom Question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Condom Question
Nay
Neophyte
Member # 74043

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Nay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wanted to know what your opinion on the best condom company to use is to get the best protection possible. I'd like to have one that has spermicidal lubricant but can never find any that actually say it on the box when I goto the stores.

Also I have a odd question. My period is 9 days late. i've had all my symptoms that I will get it so i'm not really worried but I just wanted to know if weather temp drastic change could effect it at all. Like its be 30 degrees 1 day and I freeze than 70 the next day and so on and so forth. I wanted to know if this drastic temp could have some affect on my period? This question sounds pretty dumb to me lol but I am just wondering.

Posts: 25 | From: NC | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When you want a good way to find out which brands have the highest ratings (for condoms or anything else), Consumer Reports is a great resource. here's their most recent runthrough for condoms: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/shopping/december-2009/sex-and-the-supermarket/top-condoms/index.htm

Just FYI, spermicidal lubricant doesn't increase condom effectiveness. In other words, those with it are not more effective than those without. You may still prefer it added, but just letting you know that if you did not know.

But on the whole, per effectiveness, all brands are equally effective: variations in effectiveness are really more about user compliance and proper use (or not) than about manufacturing.

A million things, with our bodies, minds and environmentally, can have subtle, or not-so-subtle, impacts on menstrual or fertility cycles. Maybe the temp had one, maybe not: who knows. Could be so many things.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67994 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There aren't any particular brands that we suggest are better than others - it's more about personal preference for what works for each person's body and how they want things to feel. You can have a read of this: Your Map to the Condom Aisle

It's possible that temperature and weather changes have an effect; it could also be something else, or nothing at all in particular. M.I.A or, Dude, Where's My Period?

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1715 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Nay,

Condoms are all tested to the same standards, so the brand is mostly important in terms of how comfortable it is during intercourse. You can find lots of info on the different types of condoms (including those with spermicide) here:Your Map to the Condom Aisle

What's more important to the reliability of a condom than the brand is making sure you know how to use it correctly, as breakage is often the result of incorrect use. If you'd like, you can find info on that here:Condom Basics: A User's Manual

As to your other question, it's pretty normal for periods to have varied arrival dates, but that's unlikely to be due to outside temperature and more likely to be due to factors inside your body (hormones, etc.)

Posts: 1265 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.