Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » first physical

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: first physical
saraa
Activist
Member # 40542

Icon 1 posted      Profile for saraa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi i'm 20 years old and i'm scheduled for my first physical on tuesday. is there a page you can link me to for this?

--------------------
-saraa.

Posts: 55 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Edith_*
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 107716

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Edith_*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Saraa! [Smile]

I'm not sure if you are talking about your first Gyn exam, but if so here is a good piece:

Your First Gynecologist Visit

Hope it helps! [Smile]

--------------------
"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it " (...'cause no one else will) -Gandhi-

Posts: 420 | From: Somewhere over the rainbow* | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saraa
Activist
Member # 40542

Icon 1 posted      Profile for saraa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ya that was what i meant! with my doctor though. so that really helped! thanks

--------------------
-saraa.

Posts: 55 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Edith_*
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 107716

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Edith_*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're welcome and good luck! [Smile]

--------------------
"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it " (...'cause no one else will) -Gandhi-

Posts: 420 | From: Somewhere over the rainbow* | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saraa
Activist
Member # 40542

Alright, so I had my first physical with my doctor today! I was okay until she asked me to put my feet into the stirrups and sit on the edge of the table. I got really nervous but I tried to relax. When she said open your legs as far as you can, that was really nerve racking...I'm a very private person to begin with and plus this was my first physical. She then put the speculum inside and it REALLY hurt. She said there would be some pressure but I was not expecting that! I almost felt like I was gunna pass out. She swabbed and then was done.

Is it normal for that to hurt the first time? Is it going to keep hurting the next times I go? And how often should I get a physical?

--------------------
-saraa.

Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not uncommon for a speculum to feel uncomfortable or hurt a little, especially the first time you have an exam, but it shouldn't cause excessive pain. Did your doctor check in with you at all as she was doing the exam to see if you were hurting?

The next time you go in for a gynecological exam, you can tell the doctor (whether it's this one or a different one) that you had a lot of pain with the speculum before, and ask for a small one or for some extra care on their part while inserting it. If you do experience a lot of pain, it's always ok to ask the doctor to stop and work with you to make the process easier.

In general you want to get a physical, including a gyn exam, once a year.

Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saraa
Activist
Member # 40542

Yes she kept asking me if I was okay, and she said it would only be a few more seconds.

--------------------
-saraa.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.