Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » The Pill Questions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Pill Questions
Nay
Neophyte
Member # 74043

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Nay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How soon after taking the birth control pill does it begin to work?

I have never had a set monthly cycle. It's always just came when it wanted to lol. Will the pill make it so I'll know the exact day I should get my period every month?

Are there any other forms of birth control that have the same or better success rate? I want to have the best protection possible but would prefer something I don't need to buy every month due to a tight budget. I'd much rather have something I know will last me at least 3 or more months.

I'm not sure if you guys know this but does planned parenthood base their prices on your income if you don't have insurance?

Another question is I have low iron. Is that a reason my period is constantly late?

Looking forward to your answers. This site is amazing and you guys do a GREAT job. Thank you for all your help. [Smile]

Posts: 26 | From: NC | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Edith_*
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 107716

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Edith_*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Nay! [Smile]

When the pill begins to work depends and could differ from one another. Some will say it works after seven days but we always advice to use another contraceptive method until the first cycle is complete just to be sure. You can have more information here .

There is no way to *absolutely* control your period and to expect it the same day every month. Birth control - the pill in this case - sure helps a lot to control periods but, periods, even while on the pill, could and often change.

I'm not sure what to answer to your question about Planned Parenthood but you could give them a call before going there and I'm sure they will help you with any information you need.

Per the iron deficiency, it sure can have a lot to do with a period - or a lack of one - but this is something a professional healthcare provider should answer.

I'm going to leave these links for you with more information about different methods of birth control:

Birth Control Bingo

The Buddy System Effectiveness Rates for Backing Up Your Bith Control With a Second Method

If after reading those you want to talk about your options with a different birth control method, we are happy to do that with you. [Smile]

--------------------
"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it " (...'cause no one else will) -Gandhi-

Posts: 420 | From: Somewhere over the rainbow* | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.