Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Some concerns about condoms and EC

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Some concerns about condoms and EC
Brooke D.
Neophyte
Member # 108481

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Brooke D.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello again! So lately I've realized that I'm finally emotionally ready to have sex, and I'm worrying MUCH LESS [Smile] so that's a good thing. The only thing left to be concered about is protection. My mother is still thinking about putting me on birth control, but I know eventually I'll be on it. So, I plan on using a condom and pull-out method the first time I do it. However, I don't want to rely on a condom alone, so I figured I'd also buy Plan B and have it for back-up just in case the worse happened. I understand that EC is only for emergencies only so I'm only going to use it once.

I also got to reading online (which can sometimes be a bad idea) and I've read where girls still got pregnant after taking plan B. (Maybe that was because they took it too late, and they used no other forms of protection.) But if I were to take it literally the minute after sex, my chances would be greatly reduced right? And if the condom hopefully doesn't break, I should be safe all around?

I just want to be as safe as possible! [Smile]

--------------------
BROOKE

Posts: 20 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the condom doesn't break, EC really isn't necessary at all. When used perfectly, condoms are around 98% effective over a year, and even when taken within minutes, EC is less effective than that. If it makes you feel more comfortable to take it, then by all means that's your choice, but it won't really have anything to do unless something goes wrong with the condom. (Especially if you use a condom AND withdrawal - with perfect use that combination is over 99% effective.) Three methods is really overkill, and if you feel like you need a hormonal method in there, then it might be better to wait until you have one that's more effective than EC.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brooke D.
Neophyte
Member # 108481

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brooke D.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay thank you. So the only thing to do now is to make sure the condom doesn't break... most of the time they don't, right? When used perfectly, that is.

--------------------
BROOKE

Posts: 20 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Condoms breaking when used perfectly is very unusual, yep.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.