Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Cotton troubles

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cotton troubles
Anne Gotham
Neophyte
Member # 107720

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anne Gotham     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi i might have sat on some semen yesterday. My bf ejaculated right on the couch and stupidly i sat on it realizing later. I know you guys are fed up with the whole sperm swimming through clothing, but in this case i was wearing thin cotton shorts and cotton underwear, wet with my own fluids to the point i was wet outside. (i was ovulating)

My question, is cotton a fabric permeable to allow semen to swim through?

Posts: 39 | From: LA | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
People can't become pregnant by sitting on fabric with semen on it. Sperm cells aren't like lice, they can't jump from place to place.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anne Gotham
Neophyte
Member # 107720

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anne Gotham     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
note, i sat on it right after he ejaculated.
Posts: 39 | From: LA | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right, but: gravity. Fluid cannot jump up, nor can those cells.

Let's try this: if you sat on say, a bed after orange juice got spilled on it, do you think pulp from that juice could get inside your vagina and make its way into your cervix?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anne Gotham
Neophyte
Member # 107720

Thanks that clears up alot.

okay so why i have i heard otherwise that cotton is a porous fabric?

Heather
Member # 3

Cotton is porous, in that is fluid can pass through it. But I'm not sure what that has to do with this.

Because fluid can pas through a fabric doesn't mean that fluid, any fluid, can also defy the laws of gravity and start flowing up magically.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Anne Gotham
Neophyte
Member # 107720

hahaha thats such a funny visual [Big Grin]
no the pulp cant get inside, but the fluid of the juice can.

so the same with sperm, (sperm being the pulp in this case)

[Smile] awesome way to put it!

Heather
Member # 3

How do you think the fluid of the juice, or any other fluid, for that matter, could defy gravity and get inside your vagina?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Anne Gotham
Neophyte
Member # 107720

No i meant that the juice might seep through a little, but not neccesarily get inside the vagina
Anne Gotham
Neophyte
Member # 107720

As for the cotton question, i just asked because i was wearing cotton.

But your visual cleared up alot so thank you.

So no, the fluid cannot defy gravity and cannot get inside the vagina [Smile]

Heather
Member # 3

The juice might wind up on your underpants if you straddled the spill and rubbed yourself on it, yes.

But your underpants are your underpants. They are not your vagina. And your vagina is, when you are sitting down, an upwards passage. Fluid cannot flow into it that is sitting beneath it. Again: gravity. It's a thing.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Anne Gotham
Neophyte
Member # 107720

Right i got it thank you so much [Smile]

So lets say in a different situation, if he ejaculated right on my crotch while wear the same clothing i was wearing above, it still defies the laws of gravity correct?

Heather
Member # 3

When people are wearing clothing, there are not pregnancy risks. Semen, when ejaculated, is usually only about a teaspoons worth, and it's not thin, like water. So, it lacks both enough volume and tends to have too much viscosity to pass through fabric in the way it would have to.

In addition, sperm cells are seriously delicate, and something like fabric is not a hospitable environment for them.

Did you know some of the first condoms were made of fabric? While those would have been seriously scratchy, and likely less effective than the latex of nonlatex condoms we have today, even with intercourse actually happening -- which is how pregnancy almost always happens -- chances are good they actually were decently effective. We do have some records of studies done during the time of their use that shows there were downward rates of pregnancy.

But you know, given the way you worry and how tough some of this seems to have been for you to grasp, I think it's safe to say it is probably not a good idea to have anyone ejaculating on you. Clearly, that is something that would be likely to get you panicking.

(Heck, it's not something we want to have to go through your panic of ourselves, so consider this me saying, "Please don't do that thing, Anne. If not for your sake, for ours." [Razz] )

[ 10-04-2013, 02:49 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Anne Gotham
Neophyte
Member # 107720

haha thanks so much Heather you are awesome!
and this site is amazing (:

And for your sake, and mine as well, ill cut down on those activities! I tend to get so obsessive
so its best for me and for the scarleteen team :)agreed!?

and interesting fact! i didnt know condoms were made of fabric before!

Heather
Member # 3

Linen or silk, to be precise.

And you're welcome. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Anne Gotham
Neophyte
Member # 107720

Condoms were made of linen and silk? :0

Btw, im starting to get pain near my ovary area, what does that mean?

Heather
Member # 3

They were.

I'm not an ovarian psychic, nor the Ovary Whisperer. I can't possibly know what you are feeling or why, or even if what you are feeling is, in fact, in or around your ovaries at all.

Have you yet started talking with a healthcare provider about your reproductive health, in general, and questions like you have been asking here, Anne? If not, sounds to me like it is past time to establish a relationship with a healthcare provider.

How about also getting a good book about your reproductive system and reproductive health? Our Bodies, Ourselves has long been the gold standard for that, and is a great reference that's in most libraries all around the world. I even worked on the last edition, so I can vouch for it even more than I usually would (which would already be a whole lot.)

[ 10-04-2013, 03:40 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Anne Gotham
Neophyte
Member # 107720

Hey Heather can i add something about whar you said up there, about sperm not being able to get through and defy the laws of gravity while sitting down?

Well what if the person after sitting down on it, layed down with legs facing up, or laying upside down (in this case not defying the laws of gravity) can sperm make it way up?

This is just out of curiousity and future reference. Thanks!

Edith_*
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 107716

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Edith_*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Anne! [Smile]

Heather is not around for the moment, and probably won't for a couple of days.

Per your questions, I don't think is very useful to start thinking about what others "what if's" are possible or impossible you know?

You -- and us -- need to focus on the facts, and on the actual things that happen with those facts. I could think in about of million things I'd do if I win the lotto, still there is a very, very minimal chance for me to actually win it.

Here is a very good article writen by an expert that could help you with all the "What if's" around sperm:

Who's Afraid of Sperm Cells?

[ 11-09-2013, 02:53 PM: Message edited by: Edith_* ]

--------------------
"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it " (...'cause no one else will) -Gandhi-

Posts: 420 | From: Somewhere over the rainbow* | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.