Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Bill control pill and withrdrawal, help!!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bill control pill and withrdrawal, help!!!!
afrojunk
Activist
Member # 104756

Icon 1 posted      Profile for afrojunk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hello there,

I have a question. My girlfriend has been using the pill for almost a year now and we decided to try sex without a condom last friday (with withdrawal. We had intercourse and i pulled out before cum).

Then the thing happened, she forgot her pill on saturday. we noticed this on sunday morning. She toke her pill on friday 2.30 am and she took the next in 2.40 pm on sunday. So we thought, lets go by oure apothecaire on monday for a MAP. She told us that it didn't matter what happened and that my girlfriend is protected. According to the apothecaire, she dont need a map . (ohh and the pill she forgot was in the first of three weeks of the pill (around 2 or third day))

Since this is such a reliable site, i just wanted a second opinion. Since the MAP wont have any effect after this day. So i hope i get quick response.

[ 10-21-2013, 02:05 AM: Message edited by: afrojunk ]

Posts: 55 | From: Holland | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Afrojunk,

The birth control and the morning after pill do the same thing. Your girlfriend only forgetting one pill, then making it up as soon as she remembered doesn't reduce the pill's effectiveness to the point where emergency contraception would be necessary.

Here's some information on how the pill works, what to do if one is missed, and so on. I think it'd be helpful for you and your girlfriend to both read this so you have more information.

Three questions about taking the birth control pill (and plenty of answers)

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
afrojunk
Activist
Member # 104756

Icon 1 posted      Profile for afrojunk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay thank you,

I hate to ask these questions (maybe for the 2nd time in this topic)

1. Is there a reduced safety or are we still safe? (she always takes the pill before going to sleep)
2. In the article is stated that you 12-24 hours after last pill. Does this mean you have 36 hours (24 hours to next day and then 12 hours to take pill)
3. On other internet is stated that forgetting a pill in the first week after the period , is disastrous. any feedback?

kind regards

[ 10-28-2013, 03:49 AM: Message edited by: afrojunk ]

Posts: 55 | From: Holland | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi afrojunk,

the information you gave us above indicates that you and your girlfriend used two methods of contraception: the pill, where she took one late; and withdrawal.

Less than 12 hours late still counts as "on time" for the combination pill and will not make it less efffective. I'm guessing that your girlfriend's usual pill time is not 2.30am? So, that Sunday pill might have been slightly late, but not in a way that makes a big difference. Someone who usually takes all their pills on time and is late with one pill will still have a very high level of protection from their pill. "Typical use" effectiveness rates for the pill include situations like that. In typical use, the pill alone is still 92% effective; the pill and withdrawal together, as you used, are 97.8% effective, as you can see here The Buddy System: Effectiveness Rates for Backing Up Your Birth Control With a Second Method
So, you and your girlfriend are still very highly protected against pregnancy.

I wouldn't think of it as 36 hours, because that seems confusing and could lead to mistakes and spacing out pills too much. 24 hours is the correct time. If someone takes a pill later than 24 hours, they should then take their next pill at their normal pill time and not wait 24 or 36 hours. On just one occasion, though, a gap of up to 36 hours is not a problem for effectiveness.

Not "disastrous", no. It's important to remember that a late pill and a completely missed pill are different circumstances. One late pill, even in the first week of the pack, is not ideal, but should not make the pill less effective. One missed pill in the first week may lower effectiveness, and it's worse to miss a pill in the first week than at other times.

[ 10-28-2013, 11:43 AM: Message edited by: Redskies ]

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
afrojunk
Activist
Member # 104756

Icon 11 posted      Profile for afrojunk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
okayy thank you very much . she took tehe pill on friday around 2.30 am and her next on sunday 2.40 pm . does this count as a late pill then? so there is notr really something to worry about at e moment ?

[ 10-28-2013, 01:08 PM: Message edited by: afrojunk ]

Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not something to worry about, no, because with the pill and withdrawal, you and your girlfriend are very highly protected against pregnancy.

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
afrojunk
Activist
Member # 104756

okay thabk you. the explanation you gave me were very helpful and were actually summarizing the concepts!

last question about the explanation and the article: is my girlfriend on a late pill or a missed pill? could not make it up out of the article

Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From the information you gave us, this is a late pill, not a missing pill
Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
afrojunk
Activist
Member # 104756

yeaah i know what you mean but i mean something different

my gf takes pill when she goes to bed. And we went to bed on satuday at 2.30 AM (this means in the night of friday ON saturday (this is the pill of then of friday), cause i explained it not correct i guess). She forgot to take one before going to sleep on SATURDAY and took the one she forgot at sunday at 2.40 PM.

In the large answer i got form redskies, there was a little miscommunication. I told that she took the pill on firday 2.30 am, but i meant that se took the pill of friday before going to sleep which was on 2.30 AM of Satuday, this is night of friday to saturday.
Then she forgot to take her pill on saturday before going to sleep. We noticed in the morning and she took the pill of satuday on Sunday 2.30PM. And the pill of sunday she took on a normal bed time

can you give me a little feedback?

[ 10-29-2013, 11:35 AM: Message edited by: afrojunk ]

Edith_*
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 107716

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Edith_*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi afrojunk!

I really don't think there is a misunderstanding or a miscommunication issue here. With the information you are giving it still IS a late pill. We are talking about 3 days (Friday, Saturday and Sunday), and we are talking about 3 pills. One was taken 12 hours late but still was taken.

As Redskies noted, you also used withdrawal, so that lowers the risk. [Smile]

[ 10-29-2013, 12:32 PM: Message edited by: Edith_* ]

--------------------
"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it " (...'cause no one else will) -Gandhi-

Posts: 420 | From: Somewhere over the rainbow* | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
afrojunk
Activist
Member # 104756

thabk you veru mich voor de auick feetback
afrojunk
Activist
Member # 104756

hey guys,
just wanted to let you know that it is good now and she has her period. i would like to thank you for the help. it is a very accurste site that has helped me many times

Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're welcome. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.