Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » superhero sperm

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: superhero sperm
inxperienced18
Neophyte
Member # 108743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for inxperienced18     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hello [Smile] I recently only found out about your website, and I am so grateful I found it. I have not had very sufficient sex-ed, and you guys sure help a lot.
I have read numerous times that dry humping cannot pose as a possible pregnancy risk, because sperm cannot go though even one layer of clothing. Now I would just like to know why semen can get through clothing, but sperm cannot? if you can answer this for me I will be so grateful, or maybe just direct me to somewhere that states why this is, maybe I have misread it.
thank you so much, and keep up your good work! [Smile]

Posts: 13 | From: Africa | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're so welcome. [Smile]

You know, the average amount of ejaculate when someone with a penis ejaculates? It's one teaspoon. That's it.

If you take a teaspoon of a fluid with similar viscosity, like say, a very thin body lotion, or even lubricant, and you put it on the crotch of your jeans while you're wearing them, you'll notice that that fluid actually will NOT go through even that one layer of clothing in the first place.

But it's way more complicated than that anyway, because as we make very clear here, sperm cells are FRAGILE. They are not superheros. They are not even average joes. They are delicate, delicate, delicate. They're like premature infants in their delicacy, really.

Not only do they need that fluid, and to be part of it (both because it's how they can get anywhere at all, but also because that fluid counteracts from the pH of vaginal fluid, which isn't right for them) to have any chance at fertilizing an egg, their little tails break very easily, and they get roughed up -- and rendered immotile -- with almost nothing.

This piece from Patricia explains that really well, I think: http://www.scarleteen.com/blog/patricia_h/2013/03/21/whos_afraid_of_sperm_cells

[ 10-24-2013, 11:27 AM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
inxperienced18
Neophyte
Member # 108743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for inxperienced18     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Heather [Smile]
I haven't ever had a boyfriend before about two months ago, even though I'm 18, and I haven't kissed anybody before that even.
Now i'm kind of faced with all of these realities very suddenly. We weren't even dry humping as such, merely lying on each other while kissing, but as i'm from an unbelievably strict religious background, even that is wrong in my mother's eyes. So I've been quite worried about pregnancy lately just because of inexperience, I guess. My boyfriend has been such a sweetheart about it, explaining to me every day that even if he has had pre-ejaculate fluid from what we did, it's too small of an amount and too thick to go through even his Jockey.
Anyhow, Scarleteen has helped me so much, I can't even tell you how confused all the Yahoos have made me.
It fels so much better to be able to talk to somebody who knows what they're talking about.
Thanks! [Smile]

Posts: 13 | From: Africa | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But you can still do that science experiment with thin lotion and your pants, if you want. [Smile] (Because: yay, science is fun!)

Have you had a look at this piece yet?
http://www.scarleteen.com/article/crisis/youre_not_pregnant_why_do_you_think_you_are

Mind, it seems like you already have a handle on some of your whys of freaking out here (and good for you!): this is all very new, you feel nervous, you come from a repressive background, you aren't supported, or wouldn't be, in being sexual by your family, etc.

But it still might help you out some, even in just clarifying the self-awareness you already have with this.

It sounds to me, btw, like some of what you're expressing is that this has felt too fast for you. Certainly, when sexual things feel too fast for our own pace and preparedness, that can feel scary. If so, how about asking to slow things down some more? Sounds like you have a supportive partner around this, so I'd expect that request to be responded to with an easy, "of course," by him.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
inxperienced18
Neophyte
Member # 108743

pre-come is even less than real ejaculatory fluid, right? that's what he says, anyway.
thank you for your quick replies, you make this so much easier for me.
I have talked to him about it already, and he's so fine with going slower, we're pretty much on the same page and our communication is very good.
So I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have to worry about this in the future, because even though what we did isn't risky at all seeing that we both had two layers of clothes on (not jeans, though) - it's just about getting past this scary bit, my period is only due in about a week, but I think it may be even later, seeing that I've been quite stressed about this.
Thanks again for your help, it means the world to me [Smile]

Heather
Member # 3

Pre-ejaculate and ejaculate are, in many ways, radically different fluids. And pre-ejaculate not only often won't contain sperm cells at all, the ones it does contain, when it does, are basically the fewest and weakest of the bunch.

Plus, pre-ejaculate is literally a few drops of fluid. That's not going through anything, probably not even a thin piece of tissue. You can do that experiment too, if you want. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

inxperienced18
Neophyte
Member # 108743

I feel so much better now.
I'm referring anybody from South Africa with questions like mine to this site - few of us have sex-ed like this, and believe me, there are questions - so be prepared to have a lot more support from the 'dark continent' in the future!
[Smile]

Heather
Member # 3

We actually have had a lot of users in South Africa over the years (and other parts of the continent as well), so refer away!

I'm also always up for more cultural education and information about places I'm not and haven't actually been or marinated in to totally get it, so by all means, if and when you stick around to talk, or talk more, and it seems like there's something I'm not getting culturally, I'd love it if you were able to take the time to fill me in. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

inxperienced18
Neophyte
Member # 108743

well, culturally we don't differ much from your typical white American, I'd say. Our Black culture is much more interesting, but I'm quite familiar with it, so if you have any questions, I'd be more than glad to answer. The white culture is pretty conservative, especially the Afrikaner people, like we're commonly known as - that is, the white people who speak the Afrikaans language (which is my home language) 90% of the white Afrikaans culture are Christians, some to very extreme extent - like my family, for instance. That would also be where my almost 'conservative' view of sexual activity comes from, even though I want to know more about it than my parents would like to tell me. Even though the community is getting more liberal as we speak - slowly, but it is happening - talking about sex is not something that is commonly done, and because of that, the information that gets spread around is generally misleading, or intended to scare us.
Heather
Member # 3

Thanks so much for that offer and that information!

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

inxperienced18
Neophyte
Member # 108743

following up on my question from yesterday - could you maybe explain to me what pre-ejaculate looks like? Is it thicker than water? And does it always come out when a boy is aroused?
Thanks [Smile]

Heather
Member # 3

Sure.

Pre-ejaculate is a very thin fluid, more like water than not. What it is is a tiny bit of fluid -- just a few drops -- that effectively the body produces (from what we know), both to clear the urinary tract of the penis from trace elements of urine, so if and when ejaculation happens, sperm cells are protected, and also potentially to add a little lubrication. When it happens is when erection happens, though it can occur more than once when someone has an erection.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.