Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Professional opinion. Pregnancy test accuracy after 3 months

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Professional opinion. Pregnancy test accuracy after 3 months
roger22
Neophyte
Member # 108799

Icon 1 posted      Profile for roger22     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Girlfriend had her period come late by 9 days (in the beginning of August), but since then she has had normal periods. However also since then she has gained wieght and had some pregnancy symptoms. So we decided to take a pregnancy test. About an hour before the test she drank a large glass of water. The test came negative.

I just want to ask your opinion on how reliable the negative is after 3 months given she drank water shortly before the test, as we did not know that it could possibly dilute the sample.

Looking forward to your reply Thanks

Posts: 4 | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Drinking water before a test is not something anyone needs to worry about.

She's had her normal periods, so already it's clear she wasn't pregnant, but a negative test, taken as directed by the test, would certainly confirm that.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
roger22
Neophyte
Member # 108799

Icon 1 posted      Profile for roger22     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for your swift reply. My concern was that there are so many reports online about how drinking water before a pregnancy test can cause a false negative, and how some people get decidual bleeding... I guess most of it is misinformation.

Given here rapid weight gain since then, and her symptoms which sound like pregnancey symptoms it just got me thinking.

Thanks again

Posts: 4 | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It matters to test manufacturers that their tests are accurate, if for no other reason than that they are going to lose profits if they are not.

So, you can be sure that the directions any test includes with it to take it properly are going to cover all that's needed to do so.

Do you want to fill me in on what has been going on with her to help her/you figure out if she should see a healthcare provider?

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
roger22
Neophyte
Member # 108799

She has gained a lot of weight since august, enough for us to suspect she might be pregnant, (but she has stopped exercising and is eating badly), is alot more tired (used to be very energetic) and has pains in her lower abdomen (mostly when sitting down) which are making it harder for her to do any proper exercise to manage her weight. Also has some lower back pain and an increased aptetite. I know these could easily be symptoms cause by something else.
Heather
Member # 3

What's a lot of weight? In other words, how many pounds are we talking about?

Really, ongoing abdominal pain, all by itself, is a reason to go see a healthcare provider. same goes with unexplained lower back pain. For sure, those things could also be about eating poorly or sitting around too much, but either can also be about something serious. So, with both of those alone, I'd advise she see a healthcare provider.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

roger22
Neophyte
Member # 108799

close to 13 lbs.

I agree but she is terified of doctors. I will put more effort in trying to convince her...

Thank you for your time. Appreciated..

Heather
Member # 3

I'd say a 13 pound gain in three months when someone isn't being active and is eating poorly doesn't set off any alarm bells.

But again, ongoing abdominal pain really does. And some of the things that could be about are scarier without care given for them than a doctor could hope to be.

I obviously don't know what her fears and issues are with this, but I'd suggest she try and manage them to go and get checked out.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.