Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Spotting on Loestrin

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Spotting on Loestrin
michgirl39
Neophyte
Member # 64994

Icon 1 posted      Profile for michgirl39     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am currently on Loestrin 24 Fe and generally take it within a 2 hour span. A day after starting my newest pack, I was messing around with my boyfriend, and there was brief genital contact. We are both up to date on STI screenings, and have been monogamous for about a year and a half. There was no penetration and he did not ejaculate. I usually take my pill at 11:45PM, but missed it the day we were messing around (I took it the next morning, about 12 hours later). About 6 days later, I started experiencing brown spotting/bleeding, which has lasted for the last 4 days. Did I have a signficant pregnancy risk here? Could the spotting be implantation bleeding (what does it look like and how long does it last?), or is it more likely to be breakthrough bleeding from the pill? Thanks so much for your answer.
Posts: 19 | From: Michigan | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sounds like you took one pill late, which puts you in the typical use range of birth control in terms of your protection (so, around 92%).

The bleeding you are experiencing is most likely spotting from taking the pill late.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9186 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
michgirl39
Neophyte
Member # 64994

Icon 1 posted      Profile for michgirl39     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks so much. I plan to take a pregnancy test regardless, but is there a large chance I could be pregnant? What is implantation bleeding like?
Posts: 19 | From: Michigan | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since you were covered by your birth control pill and genital contact such as what you describe has a fairly low risk of pregnancy anyway, it is quite unlikely. Beyond that we can't tell you for sure. If you think it would help ease your mind about this, you could take a pregnancy test once it's been more than two weeks since the incident. [edit: oops, you just mentioned that you were going to take a test, so I didn't need to say that! I just always suggest it by default. [Wink] ]

Implantation bleeding isn't something that's very common, but when it does happen it tends to be quite light and won't last for several days.

[ 10-22-2013, 04:27 PM: Message edited by: Molias ]

Posts: 1344 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.