Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Not sure..

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Not sure..
EJ
Neophyte
Member # 108699

Icon 11 posted      Profile for EJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there. My name is EJ and I'm 20 years old from the United States. A little over a month ago I had my first sexual encounter. It wasn't forced, and no penetration occurred, it was just dry humping. I had on clothes, as he did, which is why I'm concerned that I'm having such a rough time with this. He asked me to give him manual sex, but I stopped after my hand made contact with him..

I have read all of your articles numerous times and I am aware I have no risk of pregnancy, yet for some odd reason that won't leave my mind. I'm educated and this kind of embarrasses me that I have this underlying fear/paranoia occurring.. Some days it isn't so bad and others I am wondering what's wrong with me and why is this making me so scared.

I wasn't sure if you had any advice as to help my situation. I'm not posting for you to tell me there's no risk, because I know that, it's just something is leaving me uneasy and I'm not too happy. I just feel like I'm 20 years old and most people participate in these kinds of activities... and then there is me who is barely dealing with the aftermath of barely doing anything. Thank you so much for taking time to read this.

Posts: 4 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey EJ, welcome to the boards. I'm sorry you're freaking out so much about pregnancy from this. We actually have a new article on this very topic, and reading through it might give you some ideas about why you're so concerned: You're Not Pregnant. Why Do You Think You Are?

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5659 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Edith_*
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 107716

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Edith_*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there EJ! And welcome to the boards! [Smile]

First of all I want to say that there is no timeline for anyone to participate in these (or any) kind of activities. Just because you are 20 doesn't mean you have to be ready to do anything.

That said, here is a very good article that might help you:

http://www.scarleteen.com/article/crisis/youre_not_pregnant_why_do_you_think_you_are

Hope it helps! [Smile]

[ 10-17-2013, 07:23 PM: Message edited by: Edith_* ]

--------------------
"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it " (...'cause no one else will) -Gandhi-

Posts: 372 | From: Somewhere over the rainbow* | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can I ask, EJ, how you felt about this emotionally?

In other words, you say it was consensual, but what that doesn't really tell me is if it was very much wanted, if it happened with someone with whom you felt very comfortable and excited about, if the interpersonal dynamics during this experience were those that felt good for you, etc.

I ask that because sometimes if we don't feel okay, or if we feel conflicted, for other reasons about a sexual experience, then those feelings can certainly linger, and we can attach them to other, less rational, things or places, like to a pregnancy risk with activities we know don't pose any risk of pregnancy.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67112 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EJ
Neophyte
Member # 108699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you both for sending me the link to that article. I guess I participated in something I wasn't ready for and that is most likely the root of this problem. I'm also thinking about getting evaluated to see if I have an anxiety disorder from reflecting on past experiences. I know I am an adult now and I should be able to see a therapist without my parents input, it's just a topic that I don't want to discuss with them..

Thank you Edith for saying just because I'm 20 I don't have to be ready to do anything. I guess being in college there is this unspoken pressure to do what everyone else is doing, and I'm seeing that isn't something I should be concerned about. I'm just upset, and this message board is basically the only place I have to turn to.

Posts: 4 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You also may want to bear in mind that people's perceptions and ideas of what "everyone else" is doing sexually often don't square with reality. They also often tend to be mostly focused on what that person, themselves, is NOT doing or doesn't want to do. We've got a lot of studies on this -- what's called "pluralistic ignorance" -- and we know that college sexual behavior is somewhere we tend to particularly see a lot of it.

Are many people who are 20, and who have sexual opportunities they want, exploring sex with partners? Yes, they are. Is that everyone? Nope. There are still lots of people at that age -- at any age over it, as well -- who, for a whole host of reasons, are not.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67112 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EJ
Neophyte
Member # 108699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry Heather! I did not even see your first response before I replied. I at first thought it was a fine idea. I had known the kid for a little while and it seemed to be alright, but the next day I knew it was something that wasn't going to sit right with me. I tried to talk to him about it, yet he just said he was confused as to why I felt that way. Granted, we did not have sex, but I figured because we were intimate that it was alright to tell him I was feeling uneasy. I, of course, did not say anything about a pregnancy worry to him because I know that is just my mind and not a possibility. I did not let him finger me though, and that seems to solidify that I must not have been okay with the situation when it was happening.

I just leave myself wondering if I would have known him longer or if he was my boyfriend, would I be feeling this way? It's all so confusing to me, and rather stressful although it shouldn't be.

Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes it can be hard to know how we'll feel about being intimate with a particular partner, or in a particular situation, before it happens. I'm sorry to hear that you weren't happy with it after the fact, and that this guy didn't really seem to want to talk about your worries afterwards. =(

Some folks do feel more comfortable being sexual only with people they know well or are dating, vs. in more casual contexts, and some don't; you could certainly decide to get to know someone a little better in the future to see if that helps. This article might be helpful in thinking about having sex/other types of physical intimacy in the future: Ready or Not? The Scarleteen Sex Readiness Checklist

On the subject of therapy or seeing someone about your anxiety, since you mentioned that you're in college you could see if there are services available through your school. Many colleges and universities offer free or low-cost counseling for students that's confidential.

Posts: 1125 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EJ
Neophyte
Member # 108699

Thank you for the kind words Molias. I've been continuing to read articles and trying to put my mind at ease. I'm also trying to find some counseling at my college, I feel like that would be beneficial in my case.
I really just hope I'll become comfortable with these activities sooner than later, because I really didn't think I wasn't ready and for some reason I'm just not.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.