Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Birth Control without Parents

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Birth Control without Parents
EJWQTTT
Neophyte
Member # 107292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EJWQTTT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few weeks ago, I posted here asking for help talking my parents into paying for birth control for me. I'm 15, female, and will soon be having sex. The conversations that I've had with my parents have not gone well at all and they will not help me with this. Are there other ways I can get adequate protection, preferably the pill, without access to their health insurance? I have very little money of my own. Or are there other methods that would be equally safe but would cost less and be easier to access? My boyfriend would wear a condom, but I would like to have some form of hormonal protection and will not have vaginal intercourse without it.
Posts: 11 | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry to hear those talks didn't go well. [Frown]

But by all means, there may be routes for you to get low-cost or no-cost contraceptive methods. can you let me know what country and/or state you're in? If so, I can fill you in on your options.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EJWQTTT
Neophyte
Member # 107292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EJWQTTT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in Washington DC.
Posts: 11 | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay. To my knowledge, you don't have a state program that would subsidize contraception costs for a teen who already has health insurance.

But what you do have are Planned Parenthood clinics, which offer sliding scale fees based on your -- not your parents -- income, so it may be affordable for you that way. And if there is a state program I don't know about, staff at those clinics in DC would, so they can fill you in on anything like that, too.

One thing I would personally always pitch in is that being sexual in ways that pose potential STI or pregnancy risks is going to mean that do engage in them safely and responsibly, we will need some way of paying for things like testing, safer sex supplies, contraception and the cost of managing any unintended outcome, like a pregnancy or an STI.

So, if and when those aren't costs you'll be able to cover, or have subsidized, and parents also won't help? My strong vote is always to keep those kinds of sex off the table until you really can. Sex will always keep and it really, truly, isn't that big of a deal to table it until we're in a position to be able to manage it. I know it can seem like it -- especially kinds of sex we haven't engaged in yet and thus, will often inflate the import of, since it's all about our imagination so far -- but I'd say it's way less of a big deal than finding yourself having to handle something without what you need to do that, or winding up taking bigger risks than you want or are ready for.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi MW518,

Are you in the District itself or in one of the suburbs?

I'll continue looking for options for you, but to start with I did find this:

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/ppmw/teens-22988.htm

It'd be worth giving them a call to see if their services for teens include free or low-cost birth control.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EJWQTTT
Neophyte
Member # 107292

I am in Washington itself.

Thank you so much for helping me with this. Anything else that you could find would be greatly appreciated.

Heather
Member # 3

Really, I'd start by calling Planned Parenthood. They're going to be your best best, and again, will also have all the information bout your resources and options in your area.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

EJWQTTT
Neophyte
Member # 107292

So, I've been talking to my boyfriend and we discussed the possibility of combining a condom (which we would have used anyway) with spermicide and with the morning after pill taken immediately after sex. We could afford this. What are the chances of pregnancy when these methods are combined? Would this provide adequate protection? Also, we've heard that spermicide is ineffective. Is it worth using it?

Thank you all so much for helping with this. I'd always hoped that I'd be able to get my parents' help with this when it arose, but apparently not. So really--thank you.

Heather
Member # 3

You can find that information right at these links:
• Spermicides
• The Buddy System: Effectiveness Rates for Backing Up Your Birth Control With a Second Method

Just FYI, the morning-after pill is expensive, and isn't designed to be used regularly, so it truly is a method intended and best saved for emergencies, not something to plan to use every time. It also is less effective than birth control pills, not just more expensive.

Also, I really would call up Planned Parenthood and schedule a visit before assuming you would have to use alternatives to what you really wanted per contraception. You very well may be able to get the pill, for instance, since you'd said that not only was what you ideally wanted, but that intercourse without a hormonal method would be a dealbreaker for you, at a cost you can manage.

Why not take the time to really check into what your options are before considering less effective options, or less wanted options, as alternatives?

[ 10-06-2013, 11:59 AM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.