Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Clarification on taking Plan B after birth control failure

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Clarification on taking Plan B after birth control failure
S M
Neophyte
Member # 108846

Icon 5 posted      Profile for S M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

I'm a new registered user but ever since I became sexually active 4 1/2 years ago I've looked to your website for advice and sound information.

I have a question regarding Plan B and missing birth control pills.

I have been using Alesse 21 for over 4 years, and in that time I have been essentially a perfect user apart from the occasional 2 or 3 hr late pill. However, earlier this week, I forgot to take my last pill in my pack (set to be taken Mondays at 6 PM), and ended up taking it on Tuesday at 12:30 PM once I realised my mistake.

Since I had had condom-less sex on Sunday morning, I decided to take Plan B because I found no concrete information anywhere (not even from my pharmacist) regarding the "pregnancy danger level" of taking my last pill late.

Anyway, I took plan B (2 pills at the same time) at 6 PM on Tuesday once I arrived home from work, and, as per my pharmacist's instructions and the instructions on the pill packet, have started a new pack of Alesse.

Now, where I need clarification is regarding *when*, exactly, I'm supposed to be expecting my period. In the information I received from the Plan B package, they said you would get your period at your normal, expected time. However, that would be this week -- usually Friday -- since it's my normal "off" week, yet that's presumably been altered by the fact that I have renewed taking Alesse starting Wednesday evening.

Do I expect my period/withdrawal bleed at the end of my new pill pack, or should I be expecting it this weekend like usual?

Thanks so much! Sorry for the long-winded post. I just really could not get a straight answer on this one from my pharmacist or the internet resources I looked at.

Posts: 2 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately, with skipping your pill-free week and taking Plan B, there's really no telling when you get your period. For some people, it has no real effect on their cycle, but for others, it can make periods late or early. Be prepared to have some bleeding when you might not expect it, but beyond that, you can't predict what's going to happen.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
S M
Neophyte
Member # 108846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for S M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Karybu. It seemed quite "up in the air" as the flood of hormones from the Plan B combined with my Alesse undoubtedly will screw things up a bit... Guess the only way to know if it all worked for sure is wait, and maybe take a test in a week or so.
Posts: 2 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Waiting, as much as it sucks, is really all you can do at this point. Testing when you can (at least 2 weeks after the risk) is also a good idea.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.