Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Complaining about a PP Service/Clarification

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Complaining about a PP Service/Clarification
Sunday Morning
Activist
Member # 107774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sunday Morning     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello again,

So I have a strange predicament and clarification question here.

To my understanding, pregnancy tests are accurate after a minimum of 14 days after sexual intercourse.
And I have asked before - there is NEVER a time where it is too late to take a urine pregnancy tests? So a negative pregnancy test result 3-4 months after sex would still be accurate - and no matter how long after the sex, if it's been after 14 days, it's accurate.

On top of that: periods = not pregnant.

That much is clear.

Well my friend talked to people at an Orange County Planned Parenthood- via hotline and chat - and they said that:
1) there is a time where it is too late to take a pregnancy test- usually later on in a pregnancy.
2) A pregnant woman can still get a period.

I then talked to the main planned parenthood chat to clarify, and they have told me that
1) it is NEVER too late to take a pregnancy test.
2) Pregnant women do not get regular periods.

So.... what do you all make of this?
I feel like I should tell my friend to make a complaint/verification with the orange county planned parenthood or something on the information being given. Because the info they give contradicts the main branch of planned parenthood, and the information I have gathered from reliable sites like this one.

[ 10-03-2013, 09:04 PM: Message edited by: Sunday Morning ]

Posts: 57 | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Sunday Morning,

I'm not really sure what you're looking for here from us? You already know what our answers are to these questions, and we're not able to explain why other sites and services give the answers they do. [Smile]

It may be that home pregnancy tests aren't calibrated to work later in a pregnancy. I'd need to check on that. however, by that point in a pregnancy, a person would have other sure signs of pregnancy or would be seeing a healthcare provider because they realized something wasn't right even if they didn't know what that something was.

If you want to refresh your knowledge about pregnancy testing, here's our article on that:

Peeing on a Stick: All About Pregnancy Tests

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sunday Morning
Activist
Member # 107774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sunday Morning     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're talking like if it was super late like towards the end when it's pretty clear if a woman is pregnant right? Not like 3-4 months after sex?
Posts: 57 | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to be sure it's clear, a pregnancy test can't be taken too late when someone is pregnant. In fact, often even for weeks or months after a pregnancy ends, whether it ends with a termination or a birth, a pregnancy test will still usually give a positive result.

By all means, if and when someone has a complaint with a given service, they want to contact some kind of manager for that service and let them know. They don't have to obviously, but if they want to, the right person to contact would be a manager. Planned parenthood branches, btw, are by and large separate entities, so in this case, you'd want to lodge that complaint with the branch which gave the inaccurate information itself. Planned Parenthood national isn't in charge of its branches, basically.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sunday Morning
Activist
Member # 107774

Thank you for the clarification. So there's no max read limit on tests or anything like that, then?
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope. Home pregnancy tests test for a hormone the body creates when it is pregnant, as long as it is pregnant, and even for some time after a pregnancy.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.