Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Just curious about a few things!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Just curious about a few things!
Yellow3121
Neophyte
Member # 108576

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Yellow3121     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! So I was just wondering if every pregnant woman produces the HCG (?) hormone that is present during pregnancy, and if so when does it get too low to show up on a Home Pregnancy Test?

IF not every woman produces this hormone, would it be a reason for that woman to still get a period or show negative on several home pregnancy tests? Because I've heard so many stories of woman getting their periods all throughout pregnancy, and I just don't understand how that's possible, but it scares me!

The line that runs down the middle of most pregnant woman's stomach. I believe it's called the line of nivera? But I have no idea, does that mean pregnancy or can the be caused by a whole bunch of other things?

Thank you soooo much!

Posts: 24 | From: Colorado | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nixieGurl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 19081

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nixieGurl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Yellow3121,

From what I know (other volunteers are welcome to jump in here if I have any of this confused at all) The Human chorionic gonadotropin hormone is produced by all pregnant women as it is produced by the cells that form the placenta, it is generally high enough to be detected on a home pregnancy test around two weeks after conception, and then the level usually doubles every 72 hours in the first 11 weeks of pregnancy, give or take, then levels off. However as all women's bodies are different there are differences in levels from woman to woman.

Hope this helps!

Posts: 657 | From: NZ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yellow3121
Neophyte
Member # 108576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yellow3121     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay cool! So since the hormone starts to level off, would a pregnancy test still show up positive at 18 weeks of pregnancy? Or would the level of the hormone be too low at that point?
Posts: 24 | From: Colorado | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Yellow3121 and welcome to Scarleteen,

Yes, all pregnant people produce HCG. HCG is produced by the placenta. A placenta is essential to the growing foetus, so if there was no placenta producing HCG, there'd be no pregnancy.

No, people don't have periods all through their pregnancy. once pregnancy begins, the menstrual cycle stops. Some people do experience bleeding or spotting during pregnancy, but that will rarely if ever resemble a period in any way, and happens for other reasons.

Plus, a period is a shedding of the entire uterine lining. The uterine lining is necessary in a pregnancy. If the entire uterine lining is shed, as it would be with a period, a pregnancy wouldn't be able to continue.

I think what you're asking about is the linea nigra. Not all people who are pregnant experience this skin change, and changes in skin coloration can happen for all sorts of other reasons. Furthermore, no skin changes are proof that a person is pregnant.

The only way to tell if someone is pregnant or not is for them to take a pregnancy test.

I'm going to give you some links to read more about pregnancy testing and reproduction.

Peeing on a Stick: All About Pregnancy Tests

Where DID I Come From? A Refresher Course in Human Reproduction

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yellow3121
Neophyte
Member # 108576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yellow3121     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay! I've read both of those articles quite a few times and they've helped me out a lot! I'm just super confused because I have had 5 periods and 4 negative pregnancy tests, which should mean that I'm not at all pregnant, but I still keep getting weird symptoms. I realize that they could be all in my head because of guilt and fear and things like that. But some things that I've been experiencing are like. A slight increase in my belly size..not weight but just. Belly haha. And then that line formed and I think my breast have gotten bigger but I can't really tell haha, I didn't pay that much attention to them before this whole ordeal. And then I feel like little thumps in my belly sometimes, and one thing that is REALLY freaking me out is sometimes when I wake up in the morning I feel a really hard bump either right above my belly button or right under my rib cage. So. I'm just trying to get some information here! Thanks so much for the quick reply!
nixieGurl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 19081

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nixieGurl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi again,

Sometimes when we have unconsciously decided that we might have a certain illness etc we start to notice our normal body feelings and processes more than we usually do and when you start over thinking and feeling those it is easy to add these together to be like a symptom of what we think we have. In other words you may be feeling normal gas in your belly or noticing subtle changes in your breasts that you have not noticed before, and because you have been scared of becoming pregnant it's easy to attribute those normal changes in your body to be a pregnancy.

However the only real way to put your mind at ease if you are still worried after reading the articles and taking home pregnancy tests is to see a doctor. But from what you have described I would not be concerned about a pregnancy here. [Smile]

Posts: 657 | From: NZ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yellow3121
Neophyte
Member # 108576

Alrighty! Thank you so much! [Smile]
I didn't even have a pregnancy risk according to you guys soooo I am just being ridiculous about this apparently! Thanks again [Smile]

Yellow3121
Neophyte
Member # 108576

Alrighty! Thank you so much! [Smile]
I didn't even have a pregnancy risk according to you guys soooo I am just being ridiculous about this apparently! Thanks again [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.