Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Light bleed

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Light bleed
KJK2
Activist
Member # 104647

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KJK2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So according to your answers and my evaluations of my risks, I didn't have any pregnancy risks. Also I take my birth control pills (Lo Loestrin Fe) perfectly according to your standards for about 6-7 months, so even if I did have a risk they would be lower.

However, normally my withdrawl bleeding comes around the 26th ish day towards the end of my pack and is normal red bleeding. But this month I had lots of brown stuff and slightly red streaks on my tampon (sorry for graphic) four days earlier than normal. I've had about 4-5 days of this.

Is this something to be concerned about if it was within a week? And is it brown and light red bleeding due to my body finally getting used to the pill?

Posts: 87 | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just like with the periods we get when not on birth control pills, the withdrawal bleed we get while on them can vary from time to time. As long as you still get your bleed there's really nothing to worry about, and it likely is just your body adapting to the pill. You can of course talk to the doctor who prescribed the pill for you or the pharmacist who supplies it, as they will have lots of information to answer any questions you may have [Smile]
Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KJK2
Activist
Member # 104647

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KJK2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just wondering is this considered a bleed, eventhough it was four days early?

--------------------
KJK2

Posts: 87 | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KJK2
Activist
Member # 104647

Sorry right now I'm just freaking out a little, because I took a shower with my bf and I can't remember if our genitals touched which I know poses a risk, but it was during my period and I take birth control. I'm just a little uneasy from the precum stories, eventhough I know precum doesn't tend to contain sperm unless previously ejaculated. And a week later he fingered me and for the three days following I had black discharge. I feel like I shouldn't be worried because I take my birthcontrol as instructed and I had the brown/red bleed almost a month later than the risk, but I'm not sure if this bleed is from fingering or is my withdrawl.

--------------------
KJK2

KJK2
Activist
Member # 104647

It was noticeable amount of brown/black discharge in my underwear too the three days after fingered

--------------------
KJK2

KJK2
Activist
Member # 104647

Anyone?

--------------------
KJK2

Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kjk2,

Nothing you've described here sounds like a pregnancy risk.

spotting and early withdrawal bleeds can happen when on birth control; these things happening once in a while are not an indication that anything is wrong. If you continue to be concerned about these things, i'd suggest consulting with your healthcare provider.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KJK2
Activist
Member # 104647

Genital to genital touch with precum during withdrawl is not a pregnancy risk if I've taken my birthcontrol every day at the same time?

--------------------
KJK2

Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That activity is a pregnancy risk but using birth control methods substantially reduces the risk to the point where there virtually isn't one.

I fel as if we've been going in circles in this thread a bit.

What do you feel like you need in order to move on from this scare?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KJK2
Activist
Member # 104647

I guess reassurance that the risk is minimal and I shouldn't worry about it

--------------------
KJK2

KJK2
Activist
Member # 104647

And that birth control is more effective than people put it out to be

--------------------
KJK2

KJK2
Activist
Member # 104647

I guess what I need is because this happened during my withdrawl bleed, There wouldn't have been an egg and even if the pill hadn't worked, it would've been before I ovulated so there would be no cause for concern. But if the pill did work, which it should've, I wouldn't have ovulated which would also be no cause for concern. Is all this correct?

Thank you for all your help too, I've truly realized what causes a risk and what doesn't through all your help

--------------------
KJK2

Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're correct that if you're taking your pill correctly, ovulation wouldn't happen at all. If you haven't seen this article about the pill, it might help you understand better how it works and how effective it is: Combined Oral Contraceptives (The Pill)

It sounds like any sexual activity, even things that don't carry a pregnancy risk, is really stressing you out right now - have you thought about stepping back from sex while you get these fears under control?

Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.