Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Advice for a introverted shy guy?

 - UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Advice for a introverted shy guy?
Member # 108380

Icon 9 posted      Profile for FizzyPop     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi. Turned 22 this month and figured it was about time I spoke with someone about some things I'd rather not talk about with my parents or anyone I know personally for that matter. I'm not sure if you guys really answer questions like these but I am sure I have seen you guys answer somewhat similar questions before.

I'm afraid that if I asked all of my question at once that this would be an extremely long post so I guess I will split them up. I could ask my other question later in this topic if that is ok with you guys? It's really the one I am a bit embarrassed to talk about with my family.

I am nearly done with the last of my classes and will be graduating with a tech degree next May. The problem is that I am still very shy and have recently figured out that I have social anxiety which explains why I can't even go outside of my house without thinking someone is watching me through a window and the mall drives me nearly insane on the inside. Needless to say I don't get out much. I've always been the shy introvert type but I didn't start experiencing social anxiety till high school. This didn't really worry me until recently since I will soon have to start searching for a job and will eventually have to move out on my own. So any tips on how to boost my self confidence and see my anxiety erode away?

Posts: 4 | From: Georgia | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Scarleteen, Fizzy! When you say that you figured out that you have social anxiety, do you mean that you were diagnosed with this by a doctor? If so, then your counselor is the very best person to talk to about learning tools and strategies to deal with social situations.

If you have diagnosed yourself with social anxiety, then I would suggest that you get some help from a professional to confirm this diagnosis and start working on it. You can start by talking to your general physician to describe your problems and ask for a referral. If you are still in college, you might also try approaching someone at the counseling center on campus and ask for support there.

Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 108380

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FizzyPop     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks and sorry for the delayed reply. Yeah I diagnosed myself after hearing someone else talk about having it so I looked up the definition and thought maybe I had it too although it's probably just as likely that I am just extremely shy or something. But I will look into seeing someone about it.

I was going to ask another question but I thought it would be better placed in the Relationship section of the forums and I am not so embarrassed about it that I can't post about it anonymously to a bunch of strangers on a forum haha.

Posts: 4 | From: Georgia | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.

Powered by UBB.classic™ 6.7.3

Search Scarleteen