Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Clothing

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Clothing
KJK2
Activist
Member # 104647

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KJK2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read one of your articles and I wanted to clarify sperm cannot travel through most clothing unless they have huge holes such as fishnets or lace. Materials like cotton and polyester cannot be traveled through because the semen dries up which then sperm can't move.

--------------------
KJK2

Posts: 87 | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, that can't happen, and on top of that, the process of a pregnancy occurring is also much more complex than being just about sperm cells and their ability to move.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67955 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KJK2
Activist
Member # 104647

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KJK2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you clarify what you mean by "No, that can't happen"? Am I wrong with what I said or are you confirming?
Posts: 87 | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heather was confirming that you're correct, and also that there's more to pregnancy happening then whether sperm can move.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KJK2
Activist
Member # 104647

So it wouldn't be able to swim through boxers and two pairs of mesh shorts and pose a risk correct? I'm pretty certain it can't through the information but reassurance would be nice

--------------------
KJK2

KJK2
Activist
Member # 104647

Anyone?

--------------------
KJK2

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No. As the article you've read states, it is not possible to get pregnant if at least one partner is wearing clothes.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9166 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KJK2
Activist
Member # 104647

Even if they were mesh shorts?

--------------------
KJK2

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As we make clear in this post, our answers on this are not going to change:

http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/14/t/000371.html

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KJK2
Activist
Member # 104647

I've also read mixed post on here and this doesn't partain to a risk but just for common knowledge. Can you confirm this also? Sperm if it makes any stops between ( stomach, arm,hand, etc) the penis and vagina makes sperm less effective. Another the addition of water messes up the PH level of sperm making it once again less effective.

--------------------
KJK2

Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why don't you a lookie here, where you'll really find all the things that actually are relevant when it comes to sperm cells. When you don't see mention of something there, like any amount of water, that's because it's just not something that's going to make any kind of difference in most contexts or is a nonissue: http://www.scarleteen.com/blog/patricia_h/2013/03/21/whos_afraid_of_sperm_cells

[Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67955 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KJK2
Activist
Member # 104647

I read the article earlier which is why I had the two questions, so basically what you're saying is both scenarios I listed are a non issue, that's why they are not listed?

--------------------
KJK2

KJK2
Activist
Member # 104647

Like in one example on here, someone asked if a guy came on her stomach in the shower, would the water cause it to run down and get her pregnant?

Why was this not a pregnancy risk? Because of the non genital to genital contact or because of the water?

--------------------
KJK2

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Hi KJK2,

This article gives an outline of what is needed for reproduction to occur. I think it'll answer these questions for you. [Smile]

Where DID I Come From? A Refresher Course in Human Reproduction

--------------------
Robin

KJK2
Activist
Member # 104647

" If there is a distinct barrier between the vagina and the penis in question, such as clothing, water or an interstate highway, there is not a likely risk of pregnancy."

I still do not understand, does water carry sperm down the stomach in the shower pose a risk or not?

Because the article is referencing more of a pool or lake

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

As you already read in the answer to that other poster, showering doesn't change how pregnancy can or can't happen. Semen on the stomach can't get someone pregnant, whether they're in a shower, a pool, an ocean, on their bed...I think you get the picture.

We've already outlined the mechanics of reproduction in the article you just read, so I admit I'm a little at a loss for how to make this clearer.

--------------------
Robin

KJK2
Activist
Member # 104647

So let me get this clear because it wasn't direct genital to genital contact or direct ejavclation to vulva I because it was on the stomach it does not pose a risk?

--------------------
KJK2

Heather
Member # 3

Yep.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

KJK2
Activist
Member # 104647

Even with the water though? Or is the water causing it to drip just irrelevant? Because I understand that without direct contact it wouldn't be a risk but wouldn't the shower make it a risk or no?

--------------------
KJK2

Heather
Member # 3

Nothing about water is relevant. It's just not.

What's relevant is if:
- there has been DIRECT genital-to-genital contact, and/or
- DIRECT contact between someone's vulva and ejaculate, as in, someone ejaculates ONTO the vulva or the rectum.

If any of those things has been the case, there has been a possible risk. If neither of them have been, there has not.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.