Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Worries of a scare

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Worries of a scare
Un-sure89
Neophyte
Member # 108535

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Un-sure89     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok so here is some background before I begin with my story. I take birth control pills and have for almost a year now and never miss a pill I take it at 10 pm every night. I also have never had vaginal sexual intercourse but have engaged in manual and oral sex.

Ok now for my story, back in may the 19th to be exact I engaged in manual sex and was worried about my partner having pre seminal fluids on his hands. ( After reading many of your articles I see that this was not a pregnancy risk) Before I found this site however I didn't know that. I got my withdrawal bleed on the 22nd of may and didn't worry that is until I read about people getting pregnant on their period and thought it could happen to me. So on June 1st I took a clear blue easy digital pregnancy test and it was POSITIVE! Naturally I freak out and head straight for the doctors office not seeing how this was possible and feeling my life was over. At the doctors office I talked with the doctor who said my situation was very confusing and highly unlikely and agreed to do a beta blood test. My results came back at less than 2 hcg level.
I even received my period on it's expected date in june and have every month since the test. I can NOT however seem to get over my fear that maybe something was wrong and now approaching october I really am pregnant or something!

So my question or questions are this...
Is there such thing as a false positive home pregnancy test, everything I've read says they are so rare! Why did mine say it was positive and my blood neg and I receive my withdrawal bleeds every month exactly when I expect them. Why was my test faulty? (if it was and I seriously hope you agree)
How can I over come this fear? Ever since I got this news that I wasn't pregnant and it must have been a bad test, I haven't been able to let it go. Every month I have a fear that raises its ugly head and I really just want to let this go and be how I was before all this happened I'm terrified of being pregnant and over analyze all intimate contact now!

I've been holding this in for months, so it is good to finally ask and voice my concerns I hope you guys can help!

Posts: 5 | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Un-Sure, welcome to Scarleteen! False positives are very rare, but they still are possible. Because you've had your withdrawal bleed since the incident, AND have had blood testing done by the doctor, it seems highly likely that your test was faulty.

What did the doctor say to you about getting a positive on the home pregnancy test when you got a negative result on the blood tests? Also, have you talked to your doctor at all about this fear you're having? I think that would be a good idea for you, as they'll be able to discuss the situation far more in-depth with you, and also refer you to any resources they feel would help you.

Posts: 1298 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Un-sure89
Neophyte
Member # 108535

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Un-sure89     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He didn't really say anything other than false positves do happen and they saw one or two a year and that my blood test taken within hours of the inncedent was less than 2 and I must have a 5 to be considered pregant and I was not according to blood test. I got my withdrawl bleed and have every month since then.
I'm just wondering why it was faulty? I'm thrilled that my blood test wich is more accurate was negative, but it's really caused major anxiety and fear. I'm just so worried and confused! For comforts sake do you agree with my doctor that I'm not pregnant?

And no I haven't talked to my doctor about this fear I'm going for my annual gyno visit in October and thought about talking about it with her but I don't know what to say.

Posts: 5 | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There isn't really any way for any of us to know why your test was faulty -- there's a whole myriad of reasons a test may show a false positive. It could have just been something wrong in the manufacturing or there might have been some tainting of the urine sample with soap, blood, or something that would have affected the results. There's just no way of knowing what went wrong!

I think you really should mention this to your doctor. You could just say that you've been having trouble letting go of the fear that was brought on by the mixed results. Your doctor will likely have a lot of resources they can recommend you to (information on testing and false-positive results, hotlines/helplines, counsellors or therapists to help with anxiety if they feel that'd be helpful for you, etc).

Posts: 1298 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Un-sure89
Neophyte
Member # 108535

Ok it really has just been bothering me the mixed results like I said I'm thrilled it was negative and I've been getting my withdrawal bleeds. I know your right and I can't live this way every month worrying. I really appreciate your help and ill definatley talk to her about it!
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

No problem! Glad to hear you'll talk to her, I hope you're able to start feeling better about this soon!
Un-sure89
Neophyte
Member # 108535

Okay my anxiety is bothering me this morning so I thought of something else I left out of my story. After I got that one positive and neg blood test I continued to take hpt about 8 total and all also digital and all came back negative one I even took on a Monday and got neg and then got my period that Wednesday so about 3 days before.

I guess what I'm asking here is just rational logic I take my birth control everyday perfect use and I have always known I would stay away from vaginal intervourse before marriage.

I just want to know with this information and the above info that someone can say they agree whole heartedly with my doctor?
I know I need to still speak with her in October but thy seems a really long way my appointment isn't until the 21st and I would really like just some support and hear that I'm not pregnant just to reassure myself and get me through till I can speak with her.

Thanks this really helps me more than you guys know!

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You didn't engage in any kind of sex that can create a pregnancy, so really, there's nothing more you need to say or to add.

People cannot become pregnant when they don't engage in activities that can cause pregnancy.

Just like, say, someone can't get an infection you're only exposed to via a blood transfusion if they haven't had a blood transfusion.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67955 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Un-sure89
Neophyte
Member # 108535

Thanks Heather I feel better a little more calm now [Smile] thanks I'm ready to talk to my doctor and I'll keep your words in mind as I wait to help my unpleasant thinking! Thanks!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.