Donate Now

Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Showering and precum?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Showering and precum?
Anne Gotham
Neophyte
Member # 107720

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Anne Gotham     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi again, i hate for coming back here so often but i think im just an over worrier :/ and you guys really help, so thanks in advance.

Well the situation was that we were outside in the heat of my backyard, probably 95 degrees out or so. And i was giving my bf a handjob, and just handling his area in general. I was rubbing his tip and some precum came out and i had some on my fingers. After this i probably touched some other things, im not sure, but then i proceeded to touch my upper inner thigh. I think to adjust my shorts or something i dont know.

Realizing this i immediately went in the shower and washed the area. My question is would the force of the water somehow push in the precum to my vagina? Im not sure if the area i touched was close to it :/ ive heard that sperm can swim in water and moisture. Also the water i took a shower with wasnt too hot or too cold.

I heard many things that sperm can swim in the shower, and that water only forces them to go up and swim faster. This is why im asking this question :/

Did i make a mistake in showering? Should i have just let it dry out? Is this a pregnancy risk? Let me know please, thanks.

Posts: 39 | From: LA | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Anne,

I'm sorry to hear that you're still having a lot of worries about pregnancy risk from activities that don't carry one. Water and other environments outside of the body really aren't places where sperm can remain motile and viable.

Have you seen this article? I think it would be helpful to read through, as it talks about activities that do carry a pregnancy risk, and has some good content about how to sit with and think about persistent pregnancy-related fears: Pregnancy Scared?

And I know you've been linked to this one before, but it's worth another look as a good way to quickly look at what is and isn't a risk: Can I Get Pregnant, or Get or Pass On an STI From That?

Because you're having a lot of worries about pregnancy from sexual activity that doesn't carry a risk, I wonder how you're feeling about those activities in general. Might it be helpful to take a break from any sexual activity while you sort through these fears?

Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anne Gotham
Neophyte
Member # 107720

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anne Gotham     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah im thinking of taking a break from these activities,but somehow they always end up happening.. :/

And I looked at the articles and i guess my situation doesnt pose a pregnancy risk [Smile]

However, why have i heard otherwise that water helps sperm swim? And that they could last for hours and what not. Its terribly confusing :/

Posts: 39 | From: LA | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure where you've heard that water is helpful to sperm; there's a lot of misleading and false information about pregnancy online though, so it's important to look at where you're getting information from and what the credentials are of the person who's providing it.

We do have a piece about sperm cells that might be helpful: Who's Afraid of Sperm Cells?

Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anne Gotham
Neophyte
Member # 107720

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anne Gotham     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay i read the article, and it was an interesting piece of information! thanks! [Smile]

So the three things to look out for is time, temperature, and pH.
So in my case, we were outside in the hot heat, probably 95 degrees. Not the right temp for the sperm to survive right?

Also it says sperm can survive in body temeperature. Can you explain more specifically what body temperature is for me? Like what specific examples or conditions would place a good scenario for them to survive, besides labs and what not.

Anne Gotham
Neophyte
Member # 107720

can someone reply? :/ anyone. I just want clarifications on this subject please. How long sperm can survive and the temps, (what i said above)
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Anne,

Ultimately, what is important to remember is this (pulling it directly from the piece you read):

Semen contains food and nutrients sperm need to survive. By food, I don't mean stuff we eat, like hamburgers and lettuce and whatnot; but rather, stuff human cells need to function properly, e.g. sugars, proteins, etc.

So, sperm cells all by themselves don't survive anywhere, regardless of the temperature.

Body temperature means that when semen comes out of the body, it is at body temperature, and is primed to support sperm.

Instead of trying to break down the possible ways that sperm can survive, I'd like to go back to what sorts of sexual activities can lead to pregnancy. Are you familiar with what those are?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anne Gotham
Neophyte
Member # 107720

Okay so in order for sperm to survive they need nutrients from the semen. So outside the body its basically impossible for them to survive?

And i know that sexual activities such as sharing of fluids, and penetration can cause pregnancy.

However, why is it that in other forums in the site ive seen that you guys have said they can last awhile outside the body (like 20 mins to an hour) im pretty confused about that. Because the article refferably just talks about sperm.

Jacob at Scarleteen
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 66249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jacob at Scarleteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Anne,

Yep outside of the semen sperm cells won't survive.

With previous advice it kinda depends on which threads you're referring to, it may be that we've got better at describing what we mean over time, or it may be that the context we were talking about was different to what we're talking about here. The more common term 'sperm' might have been used to mean semen + sperm cells (I expect that was the case). But I digress, what we said previously isn't really relevant to what we're saying here, (we're not trying to trick you) and what Robin said remains true.

As Robin also said, it's probably better to bring this back to you.

It sounds like you have a better handle now on what could cause pregnancy and a number of resources to refer to.

Are there any parts of this that you think you'd like more reading for?

Posts: 694 | From: Leeds UK | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anne Gotham
Neophyte
Member # 107720

So in other words if the semen was visible and a glob of wet goo, then it could present a risk if its near the vagina. But if its not, and its dry then it doesnt present a risk because sperm needs the fluid to survive correct? [Smile]

And without the fluid, there is no use for it to keep swimming i assume.

Jacob at Scarleteen
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 66249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jacob at Scarleteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Correct!
Posts: 694 | From: Leeds UK | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anne Gotham
Neophyte
Member # 107720

okay i have another quick question though, if i my boyfriend were to have precum on his finger and then touched my shorts where my vagina is at (while wearing shorts and underwear)would that be a risk?

i heard that apparently if you keep the clothes on longer, it could seep through the shorts and underwear when i sit down or put pressure. is that true? it was really hot that day, like 100 degress. so i was sweating all over my body even more.

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Look back at that piece which shows you the risks of activities, and look up "dry humping."

The same would be true of ANYTHING where someone has clothes on. What you've heard isn't based in reality.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anne Gotham
Neophyte
Member # 107720

yeah i understood that a few minutes ago. Besides, like you have said earlier in the forum, sperm need liquid to swim correct? so they need their own semen to get nutrients in order to survive.

However, what if the girls underwear was wet with her own fluids . would the sperm gain ability and momentum to swim with the fluids seeped in her underwear? or does it strictly need the semen?

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sperm cells needs the fluid that is semen, yes. Specifically: semen does and contains things vaginal fluids do not and cannot. But pregnancy is also WAY more complicated than that, with more factors than that. Sperm cells aren't viruses which can do things on their own.

There is no "what if" here. If people are wearing clothes, people cannot become pregnant. Clothing presents a barrier that makes pregnancy impossible.

And now I need to hold the limit we have seton this, because we really need to be done with dry humping pregnancy questions, as there are just only so many ways for us to say, "This is not possible," and we have already said all of them so many times all over the site.

Thanks: http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/14/t/000371/p/1.html#000000

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.