Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » birth control q

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: birth control q
Rawrkitten2
Neophyte
Member # 101575

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rawrkitten2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi scarlet teen [Smile]
I just started on my first birth control pack 6 days ago, yay! I'm on kariva. I have a question though. When you start your first bc pill the first day you start your period, do the pills start working immediately? Or, is it when you start birth control the Sunday after the first day of your period, are the pills immediately effective? I've been hearing both being mixed up a lot and I just want to make it clear. thanks!

Posts: 16 | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Rawrkitten2,

First of all, know that you can always call the healthcare provider or clinic who prescribed the birth control for you to ask any questions. Healthcare providers are always there to answer questions about medications.

We here at Scarleteen always recommend using a second method of birth control for the whole first cycle of birth control pills as it's not possible to tell exactly when the pills have taken effect.

Generally, the pill can be effective within seven days of starting to take it, but again, there's no way to know exactly when you have protection from it within that first cycle.

Here's some more information:

Three questions about taking the birth control pill (and plenty of answers)

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rawrkitten2
Neophyte
Member # 101575

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rawrkitten2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks robin.
today is the 8th day. im taking my birth control in about 30 minutes. me and my boyfriend had sex today and the condom broke in the beginning when we just started. so he didnt ejaculate obviously.. should I be concerned with pregnancy?

Posts: 16 | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It depends on when you started the pill, and the pill you are taking. Some pill brands claim to be fully effective if you started it on the first day of a period, or on the first Sunday after the start of your period. To see if this is true for you, you'll want to check the patient information sheet, or call the doctor who prescribed the pill to you.

If you started the pill at any other point in your cycle, it is hard to make predictions about whether it has already become effective.

So, just like Robin, I would suggest that you call the doctor who prescribed this pill to you and ask them. They'll be able to give you a better idea of how effective the pill might have been for you at this point. You'll want to make that phone call asap, so you still have some time to obtain and take emergency contraception, should that be the route you decide to go.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rawrkitten2
Neophyte
Member # 101575

I can't call my doctor. I'm 16 and the reason I'm on bc is for my period mainly. I can't ask about sex, my parents don't know [Frown]
I took it the first day I started my period. I read the information sheet in the pill packet and it said if I took the first pill the first day I started my birth control, then Im fully protected and don't need to use a backup method.
I'm just really worried. If that's the case, I should be fine right? Besides it broke right in the beginning then we stopped and used a new one. Should I take emergency contraception or is it unnecessary?

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why can't you call your doctor? You can ask your doctor about sex without also telling your parents, if that's what you'd prefer.

Given you are taking the pill now, I'd personally say Plan B isn't needed, because your pill will already offer what it does.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rawrkitten2
Neophyte
Member # 101575

Okay then I might give her a call. Thank you heather. I think I'm worrying too much. If he ejaculated in me, I feel like that would be a problem but since we just started its kind of like a withdrawal method in a way? Plus I'm on birth control and if that's what it says in the information sheet then, I'm guessing its true? [Frown]
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you two had intercourse and he did not ejaculate, then yes, what you did was use withdrawal and your birth control pill. And even though your BC pill may not have yet been fully effective just yet -- it's generally advised to use a backup method for one week -- you DID use withdrawal as a backup.

Condoms rarely break when used properly, so if you'd like to talk about how to use them properly to prevent a break from happening in the future, I'm happy to do that with you.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rawrkitten2
Neophyte
Member # 101575

Heather, but it was a complete 7 days anyways correct? I started my pill on Wednesday at 9 pm August 28. This incident occured Wednesday around 3pm september 4th. Isn't that 7 days and doesn't that mean I'm protected by my bc so I didn't need to use withdrawal anyways?
I wish it never broke. Even though I'm on bc were continuing to use condoms. It was the Trojan ultra thin condom that's why I think it broke [Frown]

Heather
Member # 3

Oh, sorry if I misread or misunderstood, I thought you'd said it was six.

Either way, you still DID use a backup, so I personally don't see cause for big concerns about pregnancy here. Really.

Again, condoms don't break with proper use save VERY rarely. And thinner condoms are actually LESS likely to break than thicker ones, because they create less friction.

Want to talk about how to use them properly and troubleshoot why it broke so you're not in this spot again?

If so:
• Did you and yours use extra lubricant with the condom, adding more as needed?
• Was it stored properly before use?
• Was it put on properly, with around a half inch to an inch of space left in the tip?

These are really the big three with breakage when it happens.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Rawrkitten2
Neophyte
Member # 101575

Thanks! So you don't recommend taking plan b? And I think the problem was that there wasn't enough lubrication.
Just about 20 minutes ago my period came back very heavy, and with clots in it. I'm so confused its the 9th day of my period.

Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like Heather said, your risk here is very low as you were probably mostly, if not entirely, protected by the pill and you practiced withdrawal. It's up to you whether or not you take Plan B, but I'm not seeing a need to in this case.

Sometimes people do notice some spotting or irregularity with their withdrawal bleed right when they start taking birth control pills, so that may be the cause here.

Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.