Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Is it possible??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is it possible??
t4me03
Neophyte
Member # 108332

Icon 11 posted      Profile for t4me03     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know that first time penetration can hurt for a woman because her vagina has never been stretched before. My question is; if a woman hasn't had sex in 10,15,20 years, can her vagina/hymen go back to a virgin-like state? Meaning her vaginal opening would shrink in size and tampons, etc. would hurt when inserted. I ask because I was sexually abused as a child and I thought it had just been digits/objects used in penetration. I've had recent memories of genitalia being involved as well. However, I remember my vaginal opening being small as a kid and tampons et al hurting when I got older. Since I've been penetrated as an adult, my vaginal opening has enlarged. I question whether my recent memories are accurate because the physical evidence doesn't match up. Could a larger object penetrate a vagina and not cause physical changes in anatomy?
Posts: 4 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi T4me03 and welcome to Scarleteen,

The vagina does not increase with size after being penetrated.

It's a muscle, and goes back to its original shape and form after any object has been removed unless there is physical injury from the penetration. In the latter case, there would be bleeding, pain, or both as a sign of injury.

I'm going to give you some articles about genital anatomy to make this more clear, and if you have questions after reading those we can go from there.

Innies & Outies: The Vagina, Clitoris, Uterus and More

http://www.scarleteen.com/article/advice/how_can_vaginas_not_vary_much_in_size_for_real

I'm not entirely clear on what you're asking for here. Are you asking because you're currently having pain with vaginal insertion

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
t4me03
Neophyte
Member # 108332

Icon 1 posted      Profile for t4me03     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's not really what I was asking. The vaginal opening of a virgin is small because her hymen has never been stretched, correct? Whereas a woman who has had intercourse would have a larger vaginal opening. Tampons, digits, etc. stretch the hymen when inserted. Is it possible to have that hymen stretched at one point, and then "shrink" back to the way it was over an extended period of time?
Posts: 4 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CoatRack
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 50455

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CoatRack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does this help you out at all?

My Corona: The Anatomy Formerly Known as the Hymen & the Myths That Surround It

--------------------
Hey folks, my name is Andrew and I was a mod here for awhile a couple years ago. I'll be here for a couple weeks while Heather is out and the site is even more short-staffed than usual

Posts: 441 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
t4me03
Neophyte
Member # 108332

Icon 1 posted      Profile for t4me03     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A little. I guess my question is if the corona hasn't been worn away, then the vagina hasn't been penetrated? Does that make sense?
Jacob at Scarleteen
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 66249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jacob at Scarleteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey t4me,

Basically you're actually referring to a bit of a myth. The corona is some very soft tissue and can hardly felt for most people. It varies in shape widely, and so there's no standard before & after penetration state which is common among folks... it also may not even be visible at all by the time of 'first penetration, or it may not change much at all.

This idea of the vagina 'stretching' comes from the experience many people have of penis in vagina intercourse, whereby it may be uncomfortable at first but then gets better. But contrary to popular belief for the vast majority of the time this isn't down to physical changes like 'stretching' but just the fact that people become more confident and relaxed having sex... and the pain and difficulty associated with penetration comes from being tense and unaroused. Sadly it means some people feel they need to experience discomfort as part of a necessary process... which could be avoided if we focused on being relaxed and aroused rather than pushing through pain thresholds.

So actually people actually tend to use similar tampon sizes and what not, and much of this stretching/not stretching is a misconception... the state of the corona is rarely a factor in comfort, compared to the things I mentioned.

Does that help?

[ 08-26-2013, 03:37 AM: Message edited by: Jacob at Scarleteen ]

Posts: 692 | From: Leeds UK | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
t4me03
Neophyte
Member # 108332

A little bit I guess. Thanks.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.