Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Spotting when period is due?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Spotting when period is due?
ParanoidConfused
Activist
Member # 102977

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ParanoidConfused     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My gf's period is kinda irregular averaging about 29-37 days in between periods. Yesterday she took a test and it was negative. Today is the 35th day in her cycle and she is experiencing some light brown spotting. Could this be the start of her period or something else? We had protected sex last monday.
Posts: 42 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's certainly not unusual for spotting to occur at the beginning of a period. And since this is around when your girlfriend could expect one, that seems like a likely cause for it.
That said, though, there's no way for us to know if the spotting is related to her period or not.

Posts: 1345 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ParanoidConfused
Activist
Member # 102977

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ParanoidConfused     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for the reassurance and quick response. It's just that I've read of spotting being a sign for concern sometimes.

[ 08-26-2013, 05:56 PM: Message edited by: ParanoidConfused ]

Posts: 42 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ParanoidConfused
Activist
Member # 102977

Sorry for bumping this topic, but would it be safe to assume that, because this is occuring later in her cycle, the chance of it being pregnancy is much lower? Also, would the test she took be considered accurate?

Again sorry for bumping it after my first question was answered. Just curious.

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because of what occurring late in her cycle?

If she took a test yesterday to test for a risk she had a week ago, then it was too early. A test is not accurate until at least 14 days after the risk.

That said, if she is on her period now, she cannot be pregnant.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9187 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ParanoidConfused
Activist
Member # 102977

Sorry, I meant to say, because the risk took place later in her cycle, would this have lessened the chance of pregnancy occurring? the risk occured last monday and her period was due this monday.

She is not on her period yet, but she has been experiencing period-like cramps since the spotting yesterday.

[ 08-27-2013, 04:10 PM: Message edited by: ParanoidConfused ]

Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unless your girlfriend's been charting her cycle thoroughly enough that she has a sense of when she's ovulating, there's no way to determine what her most fertile times would be. So we really can't know how the time in her cycle would have impacted her chances of getting pregnant.
Posts: 1345 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ParanoidConfused
Activist
Member # 102977

Ok, thank you again for the response. I'm just a bit paranoid is all. Is there anything that could cause this such as stress? That's my final question for now.
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Are you asking what could cause spotting? Or the cramps? That could be due to her period coming soon, and certainly cramps could be from stress as well. But bodies are often unpredictable; we can't know for sure what's happening right now. If your girlfriend's worried about being pregnant, she can take another test after it's been 14 days since y'all had sex.

Because it seems like you're feeling worried about pregnancy even when using protection, do you think it would help for you to step back from the sort of sexual activity that carries a pregnancy risk for a while? Or to investigate using multiple forms of birth control, if that's something your partner is interested in as well?

ParanoidConfused
Activist
Member # 102977

Yes. She wants to get on the pill but is scared of asking her parents and doesn't know how to ask them. They are very strict when it comes to her.
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Well, she doesn't necessarily need to go through her parents to access birth control. She can use our Find-a-Doc service to look for clinics in her area. If she's in Chicago too, I know there are some places there she should be able to go on her own if she isn't comfortable talking to her parents about taking birth control.

In the meantime, how do you feel about stepping back from intercourse so you aren't worrying about pregnancy so much?

ParanoidConfused
Activist
Member # 102977

I feel fine about it, and we always agree to take a month's break or more whenever this type of situation comes up. She's alot more calm than I am when it comes to this.
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Ok, so here's a follow-up question: do you feel like taking a break of a month or so when you have this worry helps? Because based on your posts here you've gone through several instances of being worried about pregnancy, even after you've used condoms properly or your partner's taken negative tests, so it doesn't seem like the strategy you're using right now is really keeping you calm about pregnancy. Maybe you enjoy that month or so of not being worried, but my impression is that when you start having intercourse again, that worry comes back.
ParanoidConfused
Activist
Member # 102977

Yeah, I guess you're right. Taking a really long break may help, but the anxiety will probably always be there.

It probably stems from way back when my gf first experienced a late period. She had lied to me, telling me that her period had already come, because she was worried. She was well over a week late when her period finally showed up. Ever since that occurrence, her periods have been less regular, coming between 27- 37 days apart.

I think that's why I'm always so worked up about it. It's something that will probably stick with me for a long time.

ParanoidConfused
Activist
Member # 102977

[ 08-27-2013, 06:21 PM: Message edited by: ParanoidConfused ]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.