Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Cant get over this

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cant get over this
ken wat
Activist
Member # 108243

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ken wat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I am sorry
But before I have posted here about my activities with a man when I was 12 years old. Pretty much to overview I had a four day period when I was 12 that I did sexual things with a man. I also have later on determined that some of it was sexual abuse, and some of it was consensual. I also determined that I physically liked it, but emotionally and mentally I was very uncomfortable with it. Right now I identify myself as heterosexual because I have only been attracted to women all my life, had 3 gfs and did many things with them that I enjoyed. Also I have never been attracted to guys in any way. Also I would never do anything with a man now, I cannot imagine it and I will not do it. I thought I got over this, but it is still bothering me. I try to focus on other things. Some of the elements that bother me about my experience is "hey are you sure you are straight, you wouldn't do anything sexual with a guy are you sure" or "Will your future partners understand I'm sure they will leave" I do not know if I am paranoid or anything, but the idea of me being bisexual is nagging at my head, and even though I know I am only attracted to women, I sometimes think hey maybe I am attracted to men, but then identify that I am definitely not, and suddenly question myself again , and the cycle repeats itself. I am in a crisis because school starts soon for me and personally it is the most important year to get into colleges, I cannot have my head on something I did in the past. Can you all here help me on getting over this, and give me advice on how I should think of what I did when I was 12?
thank you

Posts: 74 | From: usa | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Ken,

It's understandable that you're still struggling with this. These are really big issues, particularly identifying that your experience was abusive. I also hear your concern that this school year is important and you need to be able to focus on it completely.

I know you and Heather discussed the option of counseling. Have you given that any more thought?

When your thoughts are racing and you have big troubles not thinking about something, that's usually a sign that a counselor is the person you need to be talking to. Counsellors have techniques that they can teach you for slowing your thoughts down, and a counselor can also work with you to sort out your thoughts and help you accept yourself.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, I wonder if it would help to remind yourself that you didn't choose the sexual activity you engaged in when you were twelve. It's not fair to you to judge or evaluate yourself based on something that you didn't choose to happen.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ken wat
Activist
Member # 108243

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ken wat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am sorry I am young and a councellor isnt available to me I will consider the things youve said robin thank you
Posts: 74 | From: usa | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Hi Ken,

Can you tell me a little more about why you think a counselor isn't available to you?

I ask because there are a lot of different ways to get counseling, and I'm wondering what you mean by not being able to access it.

--------------------
Robin

ken wat
Activist
Member # 108243

wouldnt it cost money and i need to tell my parents about it?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.