Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Paranoid about being pregnant??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Paranoid about being pregnant??
annette123456
Neophyte
Member # 108289

Icon 5 posted      Profile for annette123456     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So two weeks ago on the 9th, I was at my boyfriend's of three years and while we were kissing, I was touching his thing, and I guess you can call it a handjob but his pants were on. Anyways, my period had ended the day before on the 8th and this was the first time that he came while I was touching his thing. So a bit of it got on my thumb and possibly my index finger, but I'm not too sure and the rest of it got soaked up by his underwear and pants. I washed my hands after that with soap and water. Half an hour later, I was at home and I washed my hands again with soap and water. About 2 hours later, I washed my hands again, twice, before taking a shower... LOL you can see how paranoid I am. I know after washing my hands so many times and after how much time had gone by, all the sperm probably was washed off and died and I can't get pregnant but I'm still paranoid because when you shower, obviously your fingers do come in contact with your vagina, right? And I've read other people's posts and the links that have been posted on their questions such as Pregnancy Scared, the Chicken Soup one, etc., but I just need someone to reassure my crazy self. The other reason why I'm so paranoid is because I swear my stomach is bigger and my boobs are also sore... so why is that? Thank you in advance! [Smile] [Confused] [Eek!] [Frown]
Posts: 6 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Scarleteen, Annette!

Have you seen this article about what does and does not pose a pregnancy risk? Can I Get Pregnant, or Get or Pass On an STI From That?

Why don't you star by reading that article, and then we can talk further.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annette123456
Neophyte
Member # 108289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for annette123456     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I have, I read that article yesterday. I just needed an actual person's confirmation because well yeah, I'm a pretty crazy/paranoid person..... LOL.
Posts: 6 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, what we tell you is going to be exactly the same as what's in that article; the ways that people can become pregnant won't change.

In the Pregnancy Scared article, you read this, which covers the scenario you describe:
quote:
Were you only kissing, having oral sex, manual sex and/or dry sex, where someone (or everyone) had clothes on and/or no one ejaculated on or very near anyone else's vulva? These kinds of sex do NOT present pregnancy risks, though some present risks of STIs.
Looking at this, your level of risk should be pretty clear.

As for the physical issues you're noticing, neither of those are things that are solely associated with pregnancy, and if you had done something that put you at a risk of pregnancy, two weeks is much too early for most physical symptoms to be showing up at all. And again, when you haven't done anything to put you at a risk of being pregnant, then you can be sure that pregnancy isn't the cause of what you're feeling. Make sense?

Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annette123456
Neophyte
Member # 108289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for annette123456     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, thank you. I just wanted confirmation from someone. Didn't mean to be bothersome even though my answers are right there. Sorry about that! :/
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're welcome! Certainly, any time you don't understand the content in an article or want clarification, you can ask us about it. But the basic facts, if you ask us a question about those, will be the same from us as they would be from an article on the site. =)
Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annette123456
Neophyte
Member # 108289

Hey, I know that as the articles say and as you say, that there's no risk of being pregnant, and I believe that but I can't seem to stop worrying about it. I've read many of the articles over and over again and other questions to try to convince myself that I am not pregnant but there's this small part of me that can't seem to get other the what if. Is there any advice that you could give me to help like keep my mind off this topic? The chances are absolutely zero, right? One of the articles I read said that your finger would have to be dripping in semen. And how long would sperm be able to live on your fingers? Please and thank you.
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Annette, our answer isn't really going to change from the one we have already given you.

Why don't we talk, instead, about ways to reduce your anxiety. How do you usually cope when you are feeling anxious? DO you have any activities you engage in that help you calm down?

Have you been able to talk to your partner about your concerns? Is he supportive of you at all? Have you two talked about slowing down a little and not engaging in activitie that worry you for a while?

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annette123456
Neophyte
Member # 108289

Yes I know that it won't change, but I'm just saying I feel worried and I was wondering if there's anything that you guys can suggest that will help with my worrying. and yes I have talked to him about it and he's very supportive and he's fine with slowing it down.
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What sorts of things help you when you're worried about anything else?

Usually, the things that help us with one type of worry we have are a good place to start when worrying about anything else, since it's the worried feeling that's at issue, not the topic being worried about. [Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annette123456
Neophyte
Member # 108289

Hey Robin, usually I'd just ask questions and do some research, which I have been for a while now on this site. This is my first time worrying about such a thing. Other times, it's just school related things which is probably why I'm so worried. My worries have definitely decreased but there are just some moments where I have doubt. I know, I know, I know that it CANNOT happen but I'm just a really worrisome person and I'm sorry for probably annoying the volunteers. There's just one question that I asked before that was unanswered; How long would sperm live outside the body?
thanks again! [Smile]

Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Annette,

How long sperm can live outside the body is really a tricky question. Research has shown that sperm can stay alive for up to 20 minutes, but that in itself doesn't mean much as much more is required for there to be a pregnancy risk than just a couple of live sperm.

Since you find that doing research helps you, I think you would find it beneficial to read through this overview of human reproduction to see exactly how and why what you've described really isn't a way someone can get pregnant.

Where DID I Come From? A Refresher Course in Human Reproduction

When I asked what you do when you're worried, I was thinking more about how you handle the emotional side of worrying. Are there things that you do that help you relax and take your mind off whatever it is you happen to be worrying about?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.