Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Would I be able to harvest my eggs?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Would I be able to harvest my eggs?
KashaUK2000
Neophyte
Member # 100843

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KashaUK2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't know where else to ask this sort of question, so I came to Scarleteen...

When I was on the birth control pill I experienced various side-effects, including multiple minor strokes - thus hormonal birth control is not safe for me to use at all.

I've been thinking about the possibility of freezing or donating my eggs, it's just an idea right now so I'm WAY off actually doing it. But my understanding is that you are injected with hormones to encourage your body to produce extra eggs. They are different hormones used in different ways, but if hormonal birth control isn't safe for me could the hormones they inject to harvest eggs be unsafe for me too?

Posts: 5 | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patricia H
Volunteer-in-training
Member # 103815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Patricia H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kasha,

Great question! I understand that you are interested in finding out more about freezing/donating your own eggs, and frankly, the best place to do so is at the fertility clinic. Do you have any around where you live? A quick search on the Internet will usually do the trick if the answer is no.

As someone who worked briefly in a fertility clinic, having young women come in to donate/freeze their own eggs is actually a pretty common occurrence, regardless of their motives for doing so. You are correct in that the procedure, if you do decide to go through with it, does involve hormone injections and close monitoring not unlike a woman coming in for fertility treatment/assisted reproductive technology.

But even if you are not sure, and just want to learn more so you can make an informed decision in the end, many clinics will gladly welcome you making an appointment with them so you can just sit down with a physician to discuss the options and possible payment plans if need be. There's no better time than the present to try it out; and even if you don't end up going through with it, you will still leave having been more educated on one facet of what a fertility clinic does and the services it offers to the community. [Smile]

--------------------
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum. - Margaret Atwood, The Handmaid's Tale

Posts: 234 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.