Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Urine contact

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Urine contact
srk20
Activist
Member # 59241

Icon 1 posted      Profile for srk20     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night I used a public restroom. I squatted so that I wouldn't have to sit on the seat as there were no toilet seat covers and then I realized that as I was using toilet paper to wipe, the toilet paper touched the seat before I wiped my genitalia(I'm female. If the toilet paper did pick up some urine on the way and I basically wiped someone else's urine onto my vulva, is it possible for me to get any diseases from this?
Posts: 197 | From: California | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We need to ask you to please respect the limits we have set with you many times in the past now with these kinds of questions, srk20.

And we have answered questions for you even exactly like this one before, devoting a great deal of time to doing that. Like here: http://www.scarleteen.com/cgi-bin/forum/ultimatebb.cgi?/ubb/get_topic/f/27/t/027846/p/1.html#000000 The answer to this is just like that one.

Clearly, as I believe we have mentioned in the past, these fears you are having are not about a lack of facts, as you already have gotten those from us in the past, but are irrational fears, coming from a larger anxiety. Have you yet sought out help with that from a qualified mental healthcare provider?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
srk20
Activist
Member # 59241

Icon 1 posted      Profile for srk20     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do understand the time devoted and I really do appreciate it. Im just a little confused as to why my previous question was linked here as The question that I had asked previously was related to pregnancy risk of semen on a toilet. This time I'm genuinely asking if I could pick up an infection by having urine come into contact with my vulva in a women's restroom. Unfortunately none of the answers in the other post spoke to risk of infection from urine which is why Im seeking your advice now. I do understand the risks of pregnancy and I have made all the changes in my life to make sure that will keep those fears at bay. This was about infection.
Posts: 197 | From: California | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The limits we have set with you have not just about pregnancy questions like this, but also infection questions like this. You can refer to your post history for previous questions similar to this and our answers.

In case somehow our limits haven't been clear, let me try and be clear again: given the volume of your posts, and the common themes in all of your questions, I'm asking you please stop bringing questions like this here, as we feel we have answered them very fully, spent a great deal of time doing so, and also have every reason to believe the issue underlying all the kinds of fears you have like this isn't about a lack of facts, but instead, about an underlying anxiety disorder or issue.

And that is just not something we are qualified to help users with, nor that this medium we work in is a sound medium for. We state something like that not only because we have to limit our scope in order to manage the site and organization as a whole, but also because we care about all of you, and work as ethically and responsibly as possible, which includes making clear when someone is asking us for something, or clearly needs something, which we cannot adequately provide.

If you would like help finding someone like I am suggesting to help you with this, we would be more than happy to help you do that.

So, for this one -- last time, and please do respect that limit, again, rather than try and talk around it, which just truly isn't respecting it at all -- know that while yes, bacteria of many kinds can live on toilet seats, toilet paper just brushing briefly by a surface like that, rather than say, you rubbing it all over the seat before you use it, is not likely to transmit infections, especially since indirect transfer -- like we've talked with you around some of these issues before -- is not how infections tend to be transmitted.

And really, this really needs to be the last time. Please.

If, in the future, you want help finding the kind of healthcare we've been suggesting, or have questions that aren't about infection or pregnancy scares, we're happy to help you. But with those, please stick to looking for that information at the main site, or to going to another source for that information, be that another sexual health or general health website, your healthcare provider or the library. Thank you.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.