Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Qualifications to be a Sex Therapist? =)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Qualifications to be a Sex Therapist? =)
Dementia
Neophyte
Member # 97187

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Dementia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Scarleteen, it's me again =)
For once I don't have some major issue that needs a response, though I would like a response ASAP if that'd be okay ^
I live in the UK, and i'm 15 years old. I've decided that i'd like to look into sexual health counseling/therapy as my career choice, and I figured this would be the best place to ask being as Google yields no understandable results. I'd like to know what qualifications I need to be a sex therapist or counselor, in college/university, how long that would take, how much I would earn, and how to go about getting said qualications. Also if you can do the scheme wherein you do your university work from home and have an online tutor instead of attending university with this qualification. I'm really interested in persuing this course, and as of the start of year 11 this september, I need to begin deciding on a college to join next year. Also, could I please have this in idiot terms, because Google just says " a master in this and a minor in that" and i'm not very clued up in what University qualifications are or mean really ^^
RSVP Scarleteen crew,
Lily ~

--------------------
<3 ~Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, its about learning to dance through the rain~

Posts: 24 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey there. [Smile]

Well, universities and colleges don't usually employ sex therapists: primarily, that's something people do in private practice.

There still aren't very specific tracks when it comes to doing sex ed (this is truly very new as a vocation), whereas with anything that qualifies as therapy -- and requires a license -- you're looking at the same kind of things, generally, you'd be looking for to practice providing any kind of therapy.

The other thing to know is that by and large, with relatively few exceptions, working in sexuality means making very little money. Most people who do, I'd say, even people with advanced degrees, often wind up working with support from a partner, or often working more than one job, sometimes with the other in a different field entirely.

But ultimately, for this kind of information, AASECT is probably your best resource: http://www.aasect.org/

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dementia
Neophyte
Member # 97187

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dementia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hm, The AASECT site is pretty useless for people in the UK, as all of the training it mentions is US specific, whereas in the UK sex therapy is a specific sector of the NHS, so i'm wondering how i'd break into that really ^
according to this website http://www.cosrt.org.uk/courses-approval/ these are the current universities handling sexual therapy and stuff in the UK, but i'm not sure how i'd get into them really or what i'd do for travel, the nearest one is an hour and a half away. However if I could find the money to afford it, I could just catch a train down to london, plus i'm learning to drive at 17 so if I can afford to run a car in that way, i'll do that. I'm sure I read something about a government scheme to support education travelling across England anyway, so perhaps that?
As far as finances go, I'm pretty sure i'll find a way to support myself if needs be, thank you for letting me know though ^^
Do you have any idea whether i'd need a prior degree or training aside from college to attend these kinds of universities, and what college courses I would need to take? =)

--------------------
<3 ~Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, its about learning to dance through the rain~

Posts: 24 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What sort of training you'd need for any university program would depend on that program and they'll usually make that clear on their Web site.

For figuring out things like travel and finances, whoever helps students at your school with their university plans would be the best person to talk through your options with. Do you have a guidance counselor or other staff member at school who helps students with this sort of research and decision-making?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, if you popped by a Brook center, the staff there could probably fill you in on all of this. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dementia
Neophyte
Member # 97187

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dementia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
@Robin, We do, but on the day of my appointment I was not present in school as I was on work experience (Only class in the school to go :/ )And it's near impossible to track these people down.
@Heather, What's a Brook center? =o

--------------------

Heather
Member # 3

These are the times when Google can come in handy, [Smile]

But here's the main page for Brook, primary providers of sexual healthcare and sex education outreach for young people in the UK: http://www.brook.org.uk/

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.