Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Bleeding After Sex

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bleeding After Sex
wanderlusting
Neophyte
Member # 96408

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wanderlusting     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys- As it turns out, I just went to the bathroom and noticed a pink tinge to my urine on the toilet paper. I hadn't had sex for about two months due to a long distance relationship up until two days ago, and I had sex yesterday afternoon. I wouldn't say it was rough, but it was rigorous, and I felt sensitivity when urinating after, but I always do. I've never had any type of bleeding post-sex before, and certainly never over a day later- though urinating has been sensitive consistently since yesterday. As far as STIs, we have both been tested, so I'm not concerned there.

I'm on birth control and have been for over a year, the same brand, and have never had spotting before, even during the first months. I take it consistently within a half hour of the same time each day. As I said, I haven't had sex for two months, have had two periods, and a negative pregnancy test a month after my last intercourse/sex activity, though I didn't use first morning urine. I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas what might be causing this- I'm on vacation in a foreign, non-English speaking country, so I don't have access to a pregnancy test, really. I'm just wondering if I should be concerned in any way. Thank you very much.

Posts: 33 | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi wanderlusting,

From what you're describing, it was just a little bit of blood and you're no longer bleeding? Is that correct?

If so, that's really not anything to be concerned about unless there is more bleeding. You might have gotten a small abrasion, from sexual activity or something else. You could be spotting slightly even though you generally don't spot.

No matter what the cause, if it just happened once and was just a minute amount, that's not anything you need to feel anxious about.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wanderlusting
Neophyte
Member # 96408

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wanderlusting     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was just a minute amount, it was really just a pink tinge, though distinctive, on the toilet paper after urinating. I should add I arrived here yesterday, so am a bit jet lagged and stressed.

I would normally think of withdrawal bleeding, but it has only been two days of sex after two months. Otherwise, the only thing I could think of is that the pregnancy test came out false due to not using first morning urine, but I did have a period after the test, before the test, and it was a month after sex before I took the test.

Posts: 33 | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pregnancy is far from the first thing I'd think of with spotting.

Are you anywhere close to your withdrawal bleed time?

Also, you mentioned that feeling irritation with urination after intercourse is pretty usual for you. It sounds like your vulvar tissues are getting pretty irritated then. You might want to try using lubricant to reduce the friction, which can in turn reduce irritation.

Personally, I think this little bit of blood isn't something you need to do anything about, aside from just keeping an eye on things and paying attention to how you feel (whether you have pain with urination, and so on).

[ 08-02-2013, 03:38 PM: Message edited by: Robin Lee ]

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.