Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Absorption time for pill?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Absorption time for pill?
Mexx13
Neophyte
Member # 108125

Icon 11 posted      Profile for Mexx13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been taking my birth control (lo estrin 1.5/30) since last Wednesday (24th) and misunderstood the 7 days, I took it at around 8:45am (usually 9am every morning no fail-for the seven pills) and had sex at around 10:30pm, would the pill have had time to fully protect me or should I be concerned?
Posts: 4 | From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When in your cycle did you start taking the pill? What did your prescribing doctor recommend how long you should wait before relying on the pill alone for protection?

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mexx13
Neophyte
Member # 108125

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mexx13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I started taking it about 4-5 days after bleeding had stopped, but I had been on taking Yaz the previous week when my cycle started and it didn't work well with my body so my doctor switched me to this pill (was on Yaz for 4 days and bleeding lasted more than 5 days which is unusual but most likely due to the pill).
She never specified a day to start, so I read the pamphlet and started the next morning.

Posts: 4 | From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So you started taking Yaz on the first day of your period, took it for 4 days, and then switched to a different pill without a break in between, which you have now been taking for a week?

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mexx13
Neophyte
Member # 108125

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mexx13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, there was about a 3 day break in between.
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For many people, the pill can take effect within 7 days of taking it continuously, and sometimes even fewer. however, since there is no way to tell when the pill starts working, we here at Scarleteen recommend using another form of birth control for any sexual activity that could lead to pregnancy that happens when taking the first pack of pills.

Given the timing of the stops and starts with the pill, it really isn't possible to even guess what was going on with your cycle at the time you started taking it continuously.

Since there really is no way to tell, I would suggest taking a pregnancy test at the appropriate time. Pregnancy tests yield accurate results when taken 14 or more days after the sexual activity in question.

I also want to check in with you about whether you are up-to-date on your STI testing. The birth control pill does not protect against STI (sexually transmitted infection) risks.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mexx13
Neophyte
Member # 108125

Well thank you for your input and fast reply, I really do appreciate it. I will definitely take what your saying into account.

Just for clarification, as far as probability would go, would the chances be low considering the pamphlet said 7 days and it had over 10 hours to enter my system? Or am I still totally off?

I haven't been tested for an STI but I've only been sexually active for about 5 months and with the same partner (Who is clean of any STI's) using condoms always, until last night.

Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi There,

You know, when it comes to hours, it really doesn't make a difference. The pill works as a system and there's no way to say what it has done in your body, and when. The seven days on the pamphlet is an average. For some people it takes longer, for some people it takes less time. We just don't know.

Regarding STIs, using the word clean to describe someone not having STIs really isn't accurate or respectful, as it implies that people with STIs are dirty, which is far, far from true. So, you're saying that you're partner has tested negative for STIs?

It's still sound, when starting sexual activity with a partner, to get yourself tested so you know exactly what your STI status is.

Starting sexual healthcare once partnered sexual activity has started is important, and doesn't just include pregnancy prevention.

Lastly, here's some information on the pill that might help all of this make more sense.

Three questions about taking the birth control pill (and plenty of answers)

How do birth control pills really work, even during the placebo period?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.