Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Strange Breakthrough Bleeding

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Strange Breakthrough Bleeding
panicattack67
Neophyte
Member # 108094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for panicattack67     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a lot of anxiety surrounding pregnancy and reproductive health in general- and I used to think I was weird but being on here makes me feel a little more normal...
Yesterday my parents and I got back from a hiking trip. It wasn't far (12 miles over a few days) but I really pushed my body and felt kinda nauseous from exposure or something afterwards. A couple hours after I got home, and had already gone to the bathroom a few times, I went to the bathroom again and when I wiped there was blood. It was brownish pinkish red and covered the paper (sorry for the TMI) When I wiped again, there was zero blood. I haven't had anything since either. I checked with a mirror and there is zero evidence of blood. I'm worried because I had engaged in some brief dry humping exactly a week before that day and he had only had on tuxedo pants. Weird I know, and I'm not even sure he was wearing underwear. I was not wearing anything, so there might have only been one layer of clothing. I'm guess I'm wondering if pushing your body hard for a few days can force vaginal bleeding? I'm on the pill but due to being on vacation and not having any alarm to wake up in the morning I have taken it at varying times. I'm honestly not sure how off the times were, since I didn't have a watch or phone. I've never had spotting before. Could any of these things cause breakthrough bleeding? My period on the placebos is due in about 5-6 days. I'm hoping this isn't implantation bleeding. I may have had more blood while camping and didn't notice it but I am kind of doubting it.

Thank you!

Posts: 3 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The pill you take, all by itself, is associated with breakthrough bleeding as a common side effect, so that can happen any time. Just because it hasn't happened before doesn't mean anything is weird about it happening now.

You all really, really need to dump the ideas you have about "implantation bleeding," ideas we strongly suspect we all can mostly thank (read: curse) Yahoo answers and other totally unsound sources of information for. (Something so iffy and pumped by people's internet-kookiness that it's only a term you'll even find from people on the net, not in most medical references.) First-trimester bleeding does happen in some pregnancies, but it's not common and is light spotting when it does, and isn't indicating miscarriage. But even then? When it happens in pregnant people, those people are pregnant: they will have positive pregnancy tests, etc. Get what I'm at here?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
panicattack67
Neophyte
Member # 108094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for panicattack67     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you very much! So it is safe to assume that I'm not pregnant since I have not had genital to genital contact except through that layer? And that the breakthrough bleeding is common. I did forget to mention that I had a sharp stabbing pain like menstrual cramps early that morning. Is that associated with breakthrough bleeding? Or do you think it was maybe gas or something?
Posts: 3 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you seen this article yet? It does a great job of breaking down what is and isn't a risk: Can I Get Pregnant, or Get or Pass On an STI From That? And yes, you're correct that genital contact through a layer of clothing does not pose a risk of pregnancy.
Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hiking, for the record, can totally give you muscle, including abdominal, cramps.

But really, we're never going to be able to say why someone has pain in a certain place like this over the internet. That's something only an in-person healthcare provider, when they can, can diagnose.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
panicattack67
Neophyte
Member # 108094

Thank you! That article was super helpful [Smile] So am I correct that when you say "dry sex" a man could still ejaculate, but because there is one layer in between him and the other genitals, even if it is pushing into the vagina, nothing could happen? It is still by definition, "dry sex"?
Heather
Member # 3

Yep.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.